This easy and creamy stovetop mac and cheese recipe is truly the best! Cheesy mac and cheese is made with rich and smooth flavors from cheddar cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
This easy stovetop mac and cheese is a favorite of mine because it is so simple, yet perfect in so many ways. The soft noodles are mixed with a delicious cheesy sauce that is perfectly creamy and gives this homemade macaroni and cheese recipe all the comfort it needs!
In my opinion, this recipe tastes way better than Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and instead, truly tastes like classic, Southern-style macaroni and cheese that we all love.
My recipe for stovetop mac and cheese is not baked and is fitting for whenever you want yummy macaroni and cheese ready in less than 30 minutes. In case you didn’t notice–I love mac and cheese.
There are so many ways to prepare classic mac and cheese such as salsa macaroni and cheese, baked mac and cheese cups, and even autumnal pumpkin macaroni and cheese. So delicious and easy to fit whatever type of cheesy pasta you’re craving.
- Macaroni: I use classic macaroni pasta shells also known as elbow pasta. You can use any kind of short pasta to absorb the creamy cheese sauce.
- Butter: Macaroni and cheese is not complete without butter. Either salted or unsalted butter is fine!
- Cheddar Cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese makes this stovetop mac and cheese cheesy and delicious. Grate your own cheddar cheese to bring things up a notch or just use pre-shredded cheese.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream gives this macaroni and cheese an extra level of rich creaminess and is a secret for the best flavors.
- Salt and Pepper: Any kind of sea salt and black pepper will be enough for this recipe!
What I Used For This Recipe
This post contains affiliate links.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: I love these stainless steel measuring cups and spoons because they are easy to clean and use!
- 5-Quart Stockpot: This stockpot can cook almost anything! I like to use it when I’m preparing large soups, pasta recipes, rice, etc.
- Box Grater: If you are shredding your own cheese, then you will want to make sure you have a strong box grater. I like this stainless steel grater because it is durable and holds up.
How To Make It
- First, in a small saucepan, cook the pasta according to the package’s directions. Be sure to add enough water to cover the noodles.
- Once the pasta is done, drain it in the sink with a colander and transfer it back to the pot.
- On low heat, add the butter to the pot and stir until it is fully melted. Be sure to make sure there are no large pieces of butter in the pasta.
- Next, add the shredded cheese to the pasta. Mix until fully combined and the cheese is melted.
- Add in the sour cream, salt, and pepper. Stir and heat the mac and cheese over low heat until the sauce and noodles are fully combined.
- Remove the pasta from the heat and enjoy!
- Instead of sour cream, you can try heavy cream or evaporated milk.
- Use any kind of cheese you would like such as spicy pepper jack, gouda, pimento, gruyere, colby jack, or white cheddar.
- Add chopped cooked bacon for bacon macaroni and cheese.
What cheese is best in mac and cheese?
There are all types of cheeses that can be best for mac and cheese! The most common cheeses are pepper jack and cheddar!
What milk is best for mac and cheese?
I like to use whole milk or heavy cream for mac and cheese because it makes it super creamy and rich. The addition of sour cream in this recipe makes it even better!
Store the leftover macaroni and cheese in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to four days. You may need to add a little bit of milk when reheating it on the stovetop or in the microwave to get it creamy again.
Freeze the leftover macaroni and cheese in the freezer for up to three months. Once the mac and cheese has thawed, you may need to add additional milk to mix everything up again.
What To Serve With This
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Carrots
- Smothered Potatoes
- Cheesy Brussels Sprouts
- Sweet Potato Casserole
Do you have any amazing easy pasta recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 4 cups macaroni, uncooked
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot on the stove.
- Heat on low and add in butter and stir until melted. Stir in shredded cheese until melted.
- Add in sour cream and salt and pepper. Heat over low until sauce is covering all the noodles.
You can try other kinds of cheese in this recipe. I've used Big Brother cheese in the past.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 509Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g