There’s nothing better than curling up by the fire on a cold winter’s night and slurping on a bowl of warming soup. If you’re looking for something that’s rich and flavorful without feeling heavy on the stomach, then you’ll adore this Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Toast Croutons recipe.
Hi everyone, Nicky here calling in from Kitchen Sanctuary. Today I’m bringing the recipe for my creamy tomato soup with croutons. Not just regular croutons – these are grilled cheese croutons!!
It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of this soup. It’s packed with hearty vegetables, plenty of garlic, and a rich stock that truly grounds the dish.
Throw in the grilled cheese croutons which lend an extra-savory bite without much additional effort, and it’s easy to see why this simple recipe has become a mainstay in my weeknight meal binder.
I mean, the cheese toast croutons draw sighs of delight every time they’re served, and who can argue with that?!
This particular recipe includes heavy cream, but I often like to use more sweet potato in my tomato soup as it ups the creaminess without adding too many extra calories. Oh, and it’s always worth sneaking in a couple of extra veggies to fool the kiddos, right?
If I’m being honest, this is one of those dishes that’s designed to create core memories. Whether it’s served after your kids have scuffed their knees or it’s pulled out on Christmas Eve, it’s bound to lift spirits at first slurp.
Packed with tons of simple ingredients that are easy to adapt for various dietary requirements, this is a reliable recipe that you can pull out for just about any occasion.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Toast Croutons
- It helps you hit your five-a-day!
- The addition of sweet potato ups the creaminess and mellows out the dish considerably.
- It contains easy-to-find ingredients that are cheap and cheerful.
- The sugar helps to balance the acidity of the tomatoes and keeps the dish pleasantly mild.
- Olive oil
- Sweet potato
- Cans chopped tomatoes in juice
- Vegetable stock
- Tomato puree
- Caster sugar – Use granulated sugar if you don’t have caster sugar.
- Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
Cheese Toast Croutons
- Thick-cut bread
- Shredded mature cheddar cheese
- Olive oil
How to Make Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Toast Croutons
- Step One: Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the chopped onion. Cook on low heat for 5-6 minutes until the onions soften.
- Step Two: Add in the garlic and sweet potato then cook for a further minute.
- Step Three: Add in the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree, and sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times during cooking.
- Step Four: Heat a griddle pan on high heat. Divide the cheese between two slices of bread and top with the other two slices. Brush the outsides of the sandwich with the olive oil and place it on the griddle.
- Step Five: Cook until dark griddle lines appear (about 3-5 minutes) then turn over and repeat. Remove from the griddle and place on a chopping board. Cut into cubes.
- Step Six: By now the soup should be ready. Turn off the heat and blend the soup using a hand blender. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Step Seven: Divide the soup between 6 bowls and top with the cheese croutons.
This dish is incredibly easy to prepare, and you only need a few pieces of equipment to bring this recipe to life.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Creamy Tomato Soup and Cheese Toast Croutons
If you feel like spicing up this soup with a couple of add-ons, check out these related recipes that are bound to tickle your fancy.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- When adding the heavy cream, remember to keep the heat low to prevent curdling.
- If your soup looks a tad thin, simply leave the soup on the boil for slightly longer and wait for the tomato juices to evaporate. This shouldn’t be too much of an issue if you’re using heavy cream, but it’s worth keeping an eye on the consistency to avoid a sloppy mess.
Variations and Substitutions
- If you don’t have caster sugar, feel free to substitute it with white sugar. I promise that it’ll taste more or less the same!
- If you want to create a low-sodium variation of this recipe, reduce the amount of salt you throw in and look for low-sodium stock.
- To make this recipe paleo-friendly, substitute the heavy in this recipe with coconut cream and a suitable paleo stock. It may take a little more shopping around, but it shouldn’t be overly complicated!
- If you’re a fan of chunky soups, you can blend your mixture for slightly less time or blend the ingredients smooth and throw in some chopped tomatoes and vegetables after cooking.
- Don’t be afraid to jazz things up by throwing in meat or pasta to bulk things out a bit. I tend to do this when I’m looking to make a heartier dinner.
- Although it’s not entirely necessary, throwing in a small amount of baking soda can temper any additional acidity in the soup and mellow things out.
- Feel free to throw in any additional vegetables you want. Ingredients like carrots and celery are super mild and won’t alter the flavor of the soup much.
To store this Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Toast Croutons, put the soup in an airtight container for up to a week.
It’s best to store the croutons separately in an airtight container to avoid them going soggy.
Can I Freeze?
Yep – this soup freezes very well.
Simply put the soup in individual freezer bags or place it into airtight containers for up to 6 months.
If you’ve caught the soup bug making this delicious Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Toast Croutons, then check out these
- Creamy Cabbage Soup – this recipe is hearty, comforting, and packed with tons of delicious veggies!
- Tomato Florentine Soup – I love this recipe for when I need something ready and on the table in 20 minutes flat!
- Easy Pumpkin Soup – light and flavorful, this is an incredible recipe that’s easy to make for lunch and dinner.
- Easy Leftover Turkey Soup – another gem that’s ready in 20 minutes, this hearty soup is filled with turkey, noodles, and veggies.
- Cream of Carrot Soup – with its smooth and velvety texture, this is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes!
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 x 14oz cans chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp caster sugar**
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Cheese Toast Croutons
- 4 slices thick cut bread
- 1 + ½ cups shredded mature cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the chopped onion. Cook on a low heat for 5-6 minutes until the onions soften. Add in the garlic and sweet potato then cook for a further minute. Add in the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree and sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times during cooking.
- Heat a griddle pan on a high heat. Divide the cheese between two slices of the bread and top with the other two slices. Brush the outsides of the sandwich with the olive oil and place on the griddle. Cook until dark griddle lines appear (about 3-5 minutes) then turn over and repeat. Remove from the griddle and place on a chopping board. Cut into cubes.
- By now the soup should be ready. Turn off the heat and blend the soup using a hand blender. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup between 6 bowls and top with the cheese croutons.
**Use white sugar if you don’t have caster sugar
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 487mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 16gProtein: 7g