Smothered Potatoes are thinly sliced potatoes baked to perfection in a blanket of mushrooms, green onions, green peppers and cheddar cheese. Serve as a side dish or appetizer.
I bought a big bag of potatoes recently and was trying to think of different ways to use them up. I’d already made mashed potatoes and baked potatoes. I thought what about something like potato nachos? Smothered Potatoes were born. So easy. So good.
The potatoes bake for an hour in the oven in a bath of butter and water. The veggies are cooked separately on the stove. They come together under the broiler until everything is melty and hot.
I whipped up a batch one night when everyone was watching the baseball game on TV. We have a bunch of Blue Jay fans in the house. This platter was gone in under 5 minutes. No joke. I guess that means everyone approved of the recipe. Win for me!
Smothered Potatoes Ingredients
For this recipe, you’ll need 5 large potatoes. You don’t have to peel them. Thinly slice them up.
Other ingredients you need are:
- Vegetable oil
- Green onions
- Green pepper
- Cheddar cheese
If you aren’t a fan of one of the veggies, you can leave that particular ingredient out. My youngest daughter hates mushrooms so when I made a batch for her, I left the mushrooms off.
How to Make Smothered Potatoes
Start by arranging the potato slices in a shallow greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour water and butter over the potato slices. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour at 350F.
While the potatoes are baking, add the vegetable oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, green onions and green pepper. Sauté until the veggies are cooked.
After the potatoes are out of the oven, spread the veggies on top of the potatoes. Cover with cheddar cheese. Return to the oven and broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Serve with sour cream and guacamole if you wish!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Smothered Potatoes Variations
Use the potatoes as your base and then top with your favorite toppings! Some other suggestions are:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Ground beef
Check out these other yummy potato recipes.
- Potato Nachos – Crispy, flavorful potatoes loaded with taco sauce, green olives, green onions and lots of melty cheddar cheese. The perfect appetizer!
- Parmesan Thyme Roasted Potatoes – Delicious and crispy! My family loved this easy side dish.
- Lemon Roasted Potatoes – Quick to prepare and come out of the oven hot and full of lemony deliciousness.
- Swiss Potatoes – Layers of sliced potatoes and Swiss cheese make this easy side dish a winner!
- Smashed Potatoes with Lemon, Garlic and Feta – Soft on the inside, crisp and salty on the outside, and loaded with fresh summer toppings, these potatoes will go with pretty much anything.
Do you think your family would enjoy these Smothered Potatoes?
- 5 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Arrange potato slices in a shallow greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour water and butter over potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour.
- Add vegetable oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add in mushrooms, green onions and green pepper and saute until veggies are cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add veggies on top of potatoes. Top with cheddar cheese. Return to oven and broil for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve hot with sour cream and guacamole, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 309mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g