Salsa chicken is a flavorful chicken breast that is smothered in flavor and an easy weeknight dinner. You can have this dinner ready in under one hour. Cheesy, flavorful, and an easy chicken recipe that the whole family can enjoy.
I remember my mom making this easy recipe for Salsa Chicken all the time growing up. It’s so simple that you really don’t even need a recipe! I’ve got one here for you anyways, though.
It’s basically some chicken breasts sprinkled with a little spice and baked with salsa and cheese. Top with some green onions for a prettier presentation, if you wish!
The chicken comes out moist, tender, and full of flavour. You can control the spice by using a mild salsa. I love spicy, but some of my family doesn’t so we usually stick to the mild kind. It’s a delicious weeknight meal for when you are short on time. Your oven pretty much does all the hard work. I love the dump and bake kind of meals.
Now, I can totally see why my mom made this recipe so often! I’m doing the same with my own family. Yay for easy recipes!
Can I Use Bone-In Chicken
If you use bone-in chicken, you will need to add time to your cook time. The bone-in chicken will take a lot longer to cook instead of boneless. It can be done, I just recommend you use a meat thermometer to check to ensure your chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
The other thing is to make sure you do not put the meat thermometer right on the bone or that can give you a false reading.
How to Make Salsa Chicken
Start by preheating your oven. Then you will want to take your chicken and place them in your casserole dish. Then sprinkle with the spices in the recipe. Then bake for 15 minutes.
Now take your chicken out from the oven and then cover with the salsa and cheese. Toss back in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Top with green onions, sour cream, or any other of your favorite toppings. Full directions are in the printable recipe card below.
What to Serve with Salsa Chicken
- Salad topped with Pico De Gallo
- Mexican Rice
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Salad
- Cauliflower Rice for a low carb option
- Steamed or roasted vegetables
- Homemade salsa
Feel free to pair with any of your favorite sides. Top how you would like and create a meal that fits your needs.
Can I Double this Recipe
Interested in doubling this chicken recipe? Feel free to double and use a larger pan or multiple pans. You just want to make sure you don’t overstuff the pan or it will take a lot longer to cook.
This recipe does double nicely and is great for serving a crowd or a large family. Enjoy this tasty chicken any day of the week. Great for lunch or even dinner.
Homemade Salsa Vs. Store-Bought
You are welcome to make and use homemade salsa or buy your favorite brand. Either will work for this chicken dish. Now, you will know that the flavor will change depending on what you choose.
I have done both and they are both great methods. For ease, we tend to reach for store-bought just since it makes this recipe super easy. But, if we have some fresh leftover, I will then, of course, do homemade.
Interested in More Easy Dinner Recipes
- French Fry Casserole | Looking for something a bit different? Try my french fry casserole that is a ground beef-based casserole topped with french fries and baked in the oven.
- Mushroom Swiss Steak | Here is a fantastic Swiss steak that is loaded in a rich and savory mushroom-style gravy. Pair with mashed potatoes, cauliflower mash or your favorite sides.
- Lasagna Tater Tot Casserole | Here is a fun twist on the classic lasagna dish you know and love. Saucy, savory tater tots, and we can’t forget the cheesy goodness in each bite.
- Chicken Fajita Foil Packets | Check out these foil packet dinners. A great way to get your favorite fajitas in an easy and quick dinner idea. Whip this up and pair with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.
How to Store Chicken
With any recipes using meat, you can store for up to three days. Place in an airtight container and enjoy. Now, you could meal prep for a few days with leftover chicken. Add in some rice and veggies on the side and then just reheat in the microwave for an easy lunch or dinner.
If you store it for longer than 3 days make sure to use your best judgment in terms of quality.
Do you make your own version of Salsa Chicken, too?
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add chicken breasts to a casserole dish. Sprinkle with cumin and garlic powder. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover with salsa and mozzarella cheese. Put back in oven and continue to bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until chicken reads 165F on a meat thermometer.
- Top with green onions and serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 728mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 45g