14 Beauty Hacks Every Girl Should Know
With only so many hours in the day, beauty routines have to be brought down to a fine art, with speed and accuracy. There are some easy tricks that you can use to keep the routine alive without having to hire a makeup artist and hairstylist to follow you around—though, wouldn’t that be just awesome?
1. Dry shampoo in the morning, woman take warning. Dry shampoo is the beauty hack we all know about but did you know it’s better to apply it at night, than in the morning? It does it’s magic while you’re sleeping, with less risk of any splotches of powder, and can improve your hair volume dramatically!
2. Crooked part? No more! The reason some people end up with a crooked hair part is because they run their comb too slowly from the hairline at the top of your forehead to the back of your head. Do it fast. Super fast. The slower you go, the more crooked the line!
3. If you colour… Make sure that your eyebrows and roots match. It’s the most natural look, for when you don’t have time for touch ups. And speaking of touch ups, don’t let your hair lie flat if your roots are showing: instead, tease the roots and create a messy part. Flat, straight parts will only highlight the roots! Another option if you colour lighter than your original shade? Use dry shampoo on the roots. It will lighten them up a little until you can get to the salon.
4. Soft locks with a side of … beer? Yes, take a bottle of your favourite brew with you in the shower and wash your hair with it for soft, silky locks. Leave it in for a few minutes, rinse and you’re done. It’s up to you whether you drink the rest of the bottle or not!
5. Plump your lips without needles. A swipe of peppermint or cinnamon oil before you apply your lip balm and you’ll find your lips have a plumper, fuller look. No appointment necessary!
6. Socks in bed ARE the new sexy! Okay, maybe not, but a coat of a good quality heel lotion and a pair of socks before bed will help to heal cracked heels. And soft, smooth heels ARE indeed the new sexy.
7. Coconut oil for everything. For your hair (as a mask), for your lips (as a balm), for your dry skin and for all your skin (before you shave). Coconut oil is the wonder product that you can use on virtually all the parts of your body, as well as in cooking, so technically inside of your body as well!
8. Pimples be gone. Zit cream is not something we necessarily have on our shelves anymore, but you can DIY some by mixing a teaspoon of salt with enough water to form a paste. Dot it on the offending protrusion and leave it for up to an hour. DO NOT forget to wash it off before leaving the house, but otherwise the mixture will help bring down the inflammation and draw the oil out.
9. In a rush? You can still add a little colour. If you have a natural tone lipstick, more towards the darker shades of brown, burgundy or red, you can swipe some on your lips, on your cheeks and across your brow bones. Blend and go!
10. French mani on the fritz? Use a rubber band to create the line you will need. Better than tape, which can pull off the clear coat you already have on. (source with image)
11. Nails with glitter that clean off in a snap? Use a peel-off base coat. Apparently, Essence brand polish has a base coat for this, but one blogger noticed that it had a strong resemblance to something we probably all have in our cupboards: white school glue. Use a coat of white school glue as your base. Then add your glitter. You can just use a cuticle stick to push and peel the whole thing off in a few days when the joy of the glitter has worn thin!
12. Lip balm on your cuticles to cut the mani mess. If you’re like me, you can probably paint one hand but the other one comes out messier? Put clear lip balm all over your cuticle area before you polish. It will make it that much easier to wipe off any ‘over painting’.
13. Mascara dried up? Put the entire tube, up to the line where it opens, in a cup of boiling hot water. It will soften the mascara and even help to de-clump it. Apparently, a drop or two of eye drop solution in your mascara tube can also help with this. If you try it, let me know!
14. Eyelash extensions without the fuss. If you don’t like false eyelashes or need to plump up the “flutter shades” in a hurry, the best is to sweep baby powder onto your lashes with a clean eyeshadow brush or q-tip. Then apply mascara as usual, aiming the wand to brush toward your nose, not your temples. Voila: plumper, longer lashes in a flash.
Do you have a favourite beauty hack that works? I won’t speak for all of you, but there are mornings where I need all the help I can get!
You might also like this Beauty Gift Guide.