Planning a Winter Honeymoon is wonderful! You are so lucky to be able to choose between a variety of romantic locations no matter what type of climate you want. Love to ski? Perfect locations are waiting for you both to enjoy the wondrous white. Want to bake in the sun? Return from your trip with matching tans (with or without tan lines). How about a river cruise?
If you want to visit different places, but don’t like the thought of moving hotels, consider a cruise. A warm weather destination like Hawaii or Mexico allows you the comfort of staying in one room, but you can visit more than one city. Travel through the Hawaiian Islands, the Caribbean ports of call, or the Mexican Coastline for a romantic getaway. There are tours that fit all budgets, and there is no shortage of tropical sunshine. If you want more exotic locales, there is always Australia and New Zealand – their season are opposite ours so it’s the height of summer in January!
Some of the best cold weather destinations are located in North America. Skiing, snowboarding, or just cozying up to a roaring fire in the privacy of your own romantic room – it all can be yours. Here are some of our favourites:
1. Yellowstone. While the rest of the tourists visit during the summer season, only a handful visit during winter. You can stay in one of the nice lodges, and see the sights with no traffic or crowds. Jackson, WY isn’t too far from here and offers its own great hotels and activities.
2. Vermont. With its romantic lodges and winter sports, this is another great spot for your honeymoon. Plenty of luxury hotels and Bed & Breakfast locations that will cater to your every want. It’s far enough away to feel like an escape, but still close enough to city life to enjoy it.
3. Quebec City. What could be more romantic than traveling to a foreign locale (depending on where you live!), that really isn’t that far from home? Quebec City is on the banks of the St. Lawrence River and many historical hotels are awaiting your arrival. There is a vibrant nightlife as well as much history to keep your interest from waning. Although French is the official language, many also speak English so communication isn’t an issue.
For a warmer destination, pick from any of the sunny locations on our list. Golf, swimming or just lounging are on the agenda for these locations.
4. Palm Springs. It’s just a couple of hours from Los Angeles and worlds away from the crowds. Its kitschy, cool hotels and charming bungalows allow your stay to be as private as you want to make it. Pools, golf, balloon rides, and shopping are great activities for your trip. There is plenty of night life as well as a great selection of restaurants serving up just about any type of cuisine you can imagine.
5. Hawaii. This one is always a winner. Tropical locales and perfect weather just can’t be beat. Whether you want to sight see, relax or get in some water sports, Hawaii can be your dream vacation. Even if you’ve been there before there is always something more to see. Luxury hotels, condos and bed and breakfast are available for every budget. There are plenty of ‘couples’ activities to keep you both occupied as well as great food. Each island has its own personality, so you may want to visit a couple of them. Maui and The Big Island are among friends’ personal favourites.
6. Miami. With a strong nightlife and lots of sunshine, this is a great destination for the newlyweds that love to dance the night away. With its Art Deco district and Caribbean vibe, there are plenty of hotels to choose from for your stay. Miami is colourful and has a great selection of restaurants serving Latin, Caribbean and gourmet faire. This is the perfect place to laze around during the day, and go to a disco at night.
We’ve included some tried and true destinations as well as some places you might not have thought about for your honeymoon. All would make for a trip to remember forever.
What is your favourite winter honeymoon destination?