No eggs. No flour. No butter. No sugar (on its own). How can this be? This Chewy Bars recipe has none of these ingredients and is one of the easiest recipes for bars I’ve ever made. So what’s the secret?
The secret is sweetened condensed milk. That sweet, sticky, creamy and smooth ingredient is what binds this entire recipe together and also saves you on time.
I love sweetened condensed milk and would eat it right from the can if I could. I use it often in dessert recipes and always keep my pantry stocked up with several cans. Buy it when it’s on sale!
Mix graham cracker crumbs and your other ingredients with the sweetened condensed milk and this luscious dessert will be the result. Think easy holiday baking, you guys!
How to Make Chewy Bars
Start by greasing a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray or butter.
In a large bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sweetened condensed milk, sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butterscotch chocolate chips. Spread the mixture into the baking pan.
Top with 1/4 cup of milk chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of butterscotch chocolate chips.
Bake for 25 minutes at 325F. Let them cool before cutting into bars.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
It’s chewy and sweet and wonderful to share with your family and friends. You can even freeze them for later if you like.
I like to make a few batches and then deliver them to my friends and family. It’s a thoughtful gesture that people always appreciate!
Don’t like sunflower seeds or the chips I chose? Replace them with another ingredient and don’t stress. I used salted sunflower seeds because that is what I had. Unsalted would be fine to use as well.
These bars did not last long in my home. My cousin came over and took a bunch home to her family. She has two teenage boys with ravenous appetites. I swear those kids will eat anything.
Meanwhile, I have two extremely picky kids! I was glad to see everyone enjoyed this recipe.
Looking for more bar recipes to bake this holiday season? Check out these recipes:
- Mud Hen Bars: A vintage dessert from Grandma’s cookbook! It has a cookie bar base, topped with a rich layer of walnuts, chocolate and melted marshmallows followed by a sweet brown sugar meringue topping.
- Sour Cream Raisin Bars: This easy dessert recipe is a cross between a date square and a butter tart. It has a creamy raisin filling that everyone loves!
- Fudge Nut Bars: Rich and sweet with multiple dimensions of flavour. Creamy fudge is layered between an oat base and topping.
- Penuche Squares: You’ll love the home cooked taste that will remind you of your grandmother cooking in the kitchen!
- Pecan Cake Bars: Pecan Cake Bars are chewy, moist and incredibly delicious. The addition of pecans adds a lovely crunch to each bite. Try this recipe for holiday baking!
What are you baking these days?
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 300 ml can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips + 1/4 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips + 1/4 cup for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, sweetened condensed milk, sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butterscotch chips. Spread into prepared pan.
- Top with 1/4 cup each of milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting into bars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4.4gUnsaturated Fat: 4.4gCholesterol: 7.6mgSodium: 298.3mgCarbohydrates: 57.1gFiber: 2.6gSugar: 35.8gProtein: 5.7g