13 Ways to Dress Up a Dessert
Lately, I’m all about the garnishes! I find adding a garnish or two can work wonders for presentation (and photos) and also enhance the dining experience. I use them to add colour and depth to my photos and a complementary flavour to whatever it is I’m serving to my family. One of my favourite dishes to garnish is dessert. I could be here all day rhyming off the many ways to dress up a dessert.
©Homemade chocolate brownies image via Shutterstock
Of course, it will depend on WHAT the dessert is. Use your best judgment based on the ingredients included and the flavours. Be as creative as you like!
Another reason why I like to dress up desserts is that it hides the flaws. Say you have a cracked cheesecake. Hide it with a topping and no body will ever know.
Here are 13 ways to dress up a dessert to make it pretty, tastier or just for the heck of it.
1. Fresh berries. Slice ’em or put them whole. Think blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or blackberries.
©Chocolate cake with fresh berries image via Shutterstock
2. Fresh fruit. Try sliced peaches, kiwi, mango, bananas, pineapple or oranges to add a touch of sweetness and colour.
3. Chocolate or caramel sauce. Look for them in the section of your grocery store featuring ice cream toppings.
4. Whipped cream. Make your own or buy the ready to serve kind.
©Chocolate souffle cake image via Shutterstock
5. Chocolate curls or shavings. Use your vegetable peeler on a chocolate bar to make them.
6. Nuts. Try honey roasted peanuts, almonds or cashews. Toast them first to take them to another dimension of flavour.
7. Cinnamon, powdered sugar or cocoa. Use a sifter to sprinkle gently over the dessert.
©Baked Apple image via Shutterstock
8. Ice cream. A la mode oh la la.
9. Toffee. Crush it into tiny pieces and sprinkle it generously over the dessert.
10. Sprinkles. Try coloured sprinkles to liven up the dessert.
11. Maraschino cherry. Everything tastes better with a cherry on top.
©Chocolate Cherry Cupcake image via Shutterstock
12. Chocolate chips. Grab a handful to sprinkle on top.
13. Raisins. The sweet ones tastes the best.
What are your favourite ways to dress up a dessert?