Brought to you by Purina and TheCo.
Animals have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Growing up, we had dogs who were loved family members. Czar, our black lab, was the gentlest soul I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. Many people commented that he was such a special dog. He was the only dog I knew that actually smiled when he saw you. Zoe, our boxer, was loving and sweet. Despite her size, she would often climb into your lap wanting to be held. Sadly, both have passed away and I still shed tears thinking about them and how much I miss them.
Fast forward to today and I have a family of my own. The funny thing is that there are no dogs in my home; instead, we have three cats! I didn’t grow up with cats and was only exposed to them at my friends’ houses. Now I can’t imagine my life without my fur babies. I’ve become a full-fledged “cat person”. I’ve thought about getting a dog, but I know my cats would be too upset!
I’ve mentioned my cats, Misty, Princess and Reggie, on my blog before. Just in case this is your first time here, I’ll introduce them to you.
Misty and Princess are sisters, though they look nothing alike! They are five years old with completely different personalities. Misty is shy, quiet and gentle. She loves to cuddle and will sit on me during the day while I work on the computer. On the other hand, Princess is bold and forthright. If she sees something she wants, she will not hesitate to go after it. She sits on top of the couch beside me and stares intently at me as I work. It sounds creepy, but it’s not! I know she’s doing it out of love.
Our newest family member is Reggie. He’s a feisty orange tabby who quickly became the dominant cat in the home. What Reggie wants, Reggie gets! He’s playful and funny. His antics make me laugh daily. He’s a joy to have around. He likes to sit in the living room window and coo at the squirrels and birds outside.
He also likes to jump on the counter when I’m trying to make supper. Little rascal!
Purina Canada recently launched their Purina Pet People Campaign and are asking what being a pet person means to you. I gave this question some thought and how it applied to me personally. I have several reasons why I would consider myself to be part of the #PetPeople tribe.
1. My cats are my babies. Even though I didn’t physically give birth to them, I’m still their mom. I only want the best for them and care about their comfort and well-being.
2. My personal social media accounts are full of animals. I have friends tag me on Facebook all the time when they find a cute cat video. I like more animal Facebook fan pages than I do ones owned by people! I think that fact alone makes me a bonafide pet lover.
3. I love to spend time with my cats. Nothing beats cuddling with a warm furry friend who loves to give kisses. I don’t even mind the rough tongue.
4. I want more. I would love to adopt another cat, but my husband doesn’t think it’s a good idea. Still, I can’t help but long for another fur baby to love and care for.
5. I get emotional leaving my cats at home. I don’t travel too often, but when I do, I miss my entire family, cats included, dearly. I’ve skyped with Reggie, Princess and Misty. Reggie goes nuts and swats the screen trying to figure out where I am hiding.
Watch Purina’s We Are #PetPeople video and see if you can relate to what these pet owners have to say. I found myself nodding my head in agreement!
Purina Canada is calling all #PetPeople across the country to share what being #PetPeople means to you, or what makes you #PetPeople. Give your reasons and share a photo on Twitter or Instagram tagging @PurinaCanada and using the hashtag #PetPeople and you could win a feature in an upcoming coffee table book starring real #PetPeople from across the country! I’ll be in it too! What a meaningful and awesome prize to honour that special bond between pets and pet owners.
The winners will also receive a limited edition copy of the book to enjoy in their home. Check out the rules here.
What does being #PetPeople mean to you?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Purina #PetPeople, but the opinions expressed are my own.