20 Ways to Use Lavender Essential Oil
I have a new hobby or perhaps it would be better called an area of interest: essential oils. I kept seeing my Facebook friends posting about how they were changing their lives for the better with essential oils and that they had so many uses. It takes a few times of seeing the same thing over and over before it finally registers and you wonder if there really is something to it. I’ve discovered after using essential oils for the past two months that they are on to something!
Today I wanted to share a few different ways I’ve been using lavender essential oil. It’s one of the most versatile essential oils and a great one to start with if you are just beginning to incorporate essential oils in your life.
Lavender has been used since ancient times by the Egyptians and the Romans. It’s most well-known for its calming properties. It can help to treat a variety of conditions and be used in many ways in your home. I started out by using lavender essential oil to help me quiet my mind at night and fall asleep. I apply a drop to the soles of my feet before bed and it helps me to fall asleep. It might even work too well because I can’t read my book as long as I used to be able to!
A few weeks ago I burned my chin on some soup. It was extremely hot when it fell off the spoon and onto my face. Ouch! I noticed it started to blister so I put a drop of lavender essential oil on it. I hoped that it wouldn’t develop into a scar. I was amazed how quickly it faded away and you can’t even see where the burn was just two weeks later.
I also experience acne breakouts around my cycle. This month I developed a ginormous cystic pimple on my cheek. John teased me and said the thing had its own zipcode. Not very nice of him, but whatever! I started applying a dab of lavender essential oil to it each day. It popped in the shower and I continued to apply lavender essential oil to it. Those types of zits can last for weeks. From my experience, lavender essential oil cut the healing time in half. It started to shrink and fade away. If/when I get any more, I’ll be attacking with lavender right away.
Though there are a myriad of ways you can use lavender essential oil in your daily life, I am sharing 20 ways that I’ve been using it or plan to use it when the time comes. I imagine this list will increase in length the longer I use it and discover more ways it can benefit my family.
- Sleep Better. Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your pillow or the soles of your feet to help you have a good night’s sleep.
- Antiseptic. Apply a drop of lavender essential oil on minor burns bug bites, cuts or scrapes.
- Freshen up. Mix drops of lavender essential oil and water to make a simple air freshener or linen spray.
- Relieve Stress. Add a couple drops to your bath water to help de-stress and relax.
- Soothe pain. Apply to the back of your neck to ease muscle tension
- Clean your home. Add lavender essential oil to your vinegar and water mixture to clean surfaces in your home and the vinegar won’t smell so strong.
- Repel insects. Apply a few drops to your skin to act as a bug repellent
- Heal acne. Apply to pimples to promote healing and reduce scarring.
- Prevent acne. Add to your facial cleanser to inhibit acne.
- Calm anxiety. Add couple drops of lavender essential oil to the palms of your hands and cup over your face and breathe in.
- Treat motion sickness. Add a drop of lavender essential oil to the end of your tongue, behind your ears or around your belly button.
- Soothe skin. Rub a drop of lavender essential oil to soothe dry, chapped skin including chapped lips.
- Banish dandruff. Add some lavender essential oil to your scalp massage to help with dandruff.
- Soothe a sunburn. Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to aloe vera gel to soothe a sunburn.
- Help a headache. Treat a headache with a drop of lavender essential oil rubbed into your temples and neck.
- Freshen your hamper. Keep your laundry hamper smelling fresh by adding a few drops of lavender essential oil to a paper towel and then placing in the hamper.
- Freshen laundry. Freshen your laundry by adding a few drops to your dryer balls.
- Banish fleas. Keep fleas at bay on your cat or dog by adding a few drops of lavender essential oil to their collar.
- Relieve foot pain. Soothe and relax sore feet in warm water bath water with lavender essential oil (it will also help with smelly feet).
- Treat a wooden splinter. Add lavender essential oil to a splinter instead of trying to dig it out with tweezers. It should swell and slip out.
This is one oil that I do not want to run out of because it has become such an integral part of my day-to-day life. I’m glad that the bottles last a long time because you normally only need to use just one drop!
Have you tried lavender essential oil?
Disclaimer: Products, information, and descriptions presented here are for educational purposes and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This information should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling with a health care professional. Individuals with serious illnesses should consult a qualified health care professional.