Drink More Water with 8Cups
When people talk about living a healthier lifestyle or wanting to start on a weight loss journey, there seems to be one particular item that is always mentioned: drink more water! I’ve said it myself many times. I know I don’t drink enough water. I have good intentions, but my execution isn’t the best. I always forget and I never know how much I’m drinking. It’s not easy to keep track especially when you are busy.
It’s a fact – we need water to live. A person will die within three days without water. Also, even if you are drinking water, do you know if you are drinking enough? Without enough water, you can get dehydrated which causes a whole slew of issues like electrolyte imbalances, bowel concerns, fatigue and cloudy thinking. The saying water is life is very true. When you watch Survivor or any reality show where they are in the wilderness, priority #1 is always to find a source of fresh water.
Water not only keeps you alive, but also has many other important benefits. When you drink the appropriate amount of water per day you’ll look and feel better mentally and physically. Your skin and hair will look better and you can think more clearly. It detoxifies the body and keeps urine diluted – this decreases the risk of kidney stones which are no fun to have!
Another important thing I wanted to mention is that we often mistake thirst for hunger. I think this is my issue. I need to make drinking water a priority and lose the extra weight.
I recently learned about a product that is one of the coolest things I’ve seen in awhile. 8Cups is a smart water bottle that syncs with your smartphone app to track your water intake and reminds you to drink more. It reminds me a little of those fitness trackers you wear on your wrist to track activity. 8Cups does the same with water to make sure you are drinking the recommended amount per day. It’s pretty genius!
8Cups was developed by Jellycoaster.com. The CEO, Daniel Joo, realized how important drinking an adequate amount of water each day was after developing a kidney stone. His doctor advised him to drink more water as part of his treatment. Daniel discovered how difficult it was to keep track of how much water he was drinking each day and was often forgetting to do it. After his wife became pregnant and she was advised by her doctor to drink 8 glasses of water each day, Daniel came up with the concept of 8Cups – a system designed to ensure you drink enough water each day.
Meet the 8Cups Smart Bottle. This is the most high tech water bottle I’ve ever seen and I would love to get one! Here is a rundown of its bells & whistles (aka key features):
- LED Alerts: Integrated sensor triggers an LED alert to remind you to drink water at regular intervals throughout the day
- Automatic Tracking: The Smart Bottle is synced to the app on the phone and knows how much water you drank and how much you have left to drink to meet your daily water intake goal
- Wireless Charging: 8Cups uses a wireless charging system and each charge lasts up to one week of use.
- Waterproof: You can wash the bottle without worrying about damaging it. The technology and sensors are sealed within the design.
- Rubber Bottom: It has a non-slip rubber bottom to keep it secure on wet, smooth or slippery surfaces.
- Magnetic Top: The top is held on magnetically allowing it to stay securely closed and easy to open with just one hand.
- Eco-friendly: 8Cups is made of Tritan, a safe, BPA-free type plastic for long-lasting and wear-resistant use. It will reduce waste as it is meant to replace using disposable water bottles.
- Five Colour Choices: 8Cups comes in five colours: Pure White, Space Black, Deep Purple, Shiny Emerald and Ruby Red
- 8Cups Smartphone app (Android/iPhone): Includes a calendar with a timeline to chart your water intake, gives you the ability to set goals for water intake, tracks your water intake, notifies you when its time to drink more water and even does photo recording.
8Cups is planning to integrate with smartwatches! Watch for that exciting announcement late next year.
Currently, 8Cups is on Indiegogo and is looking for funding to help them move forward in the production of this innovative product. They’ve got a variety of perks for people who donate.
They estimate an April 2015 delivery date for your order. Everything you need will be included in the package. It’s free shipping to South Korea, $20 to the USA and $25 for international orders.
I think 8Cups has the potential to help a lot of people. I know I could benefit from drinking more water and 8Cups seems like just the solution I need!
Stacie is the mom of two girls and lives in Ontario, Canada. She enjoys cooking/baking, photography, reading, DIY and is fueled by lots of coffee!