Sleeping Beauty Awakens Today
Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition awakens on Blu-ray™, DVD, Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere TODAY!
About the Film
Beauty, wonder and adventure spin together in a grand legend that transcends time as Maleficent, one of animation’s most spectacular villains, sends the kingdom’s beloved Princess Aurora into an enchanted sleep. In a majestic story that awakens all your senses, Good Fairies arm brave Prince Phillip to defeat a fearsome fire-breathing dragon and rescue Aurora. But success in battle may not be enough, for the only way to awaken the Princess is with True Love’s kiss!
“Sleeping Beauty” awakens to spectacular new life in the following home entertainment formats, with new and classic bonus features.
2-Disc Blu-ray Superset with Digital Copy (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) and select Digital Retailers includes.
- ‘Once Upon A Parade’ (Starring Sarah Hyland) – Behind every attraction, event and parade at the Magic Kingdom is a unique story. Join Sarah Hyland from ABC’s “Modern Family” as she tells us the tale of Walt Disney World’s new Festival Of Fantasy Parade. This magical “in world” short film goes behind the scenes of the new parade and shows how the residents and characters of Fantasyland created this parade to tell their stories.
- Art of Evil: Generations Of Disney Villains – This legacy piece spotlights Disney’s favorite villain animator, Marc Davis and his infamous creations of characters such as Maleficent and Cruella. Throughout the piece, we will talk to modern day animators like Andreas Deja and also the new generation of Animators (Lino DiSalvo Animation Director of FROZEN) on how Marc’s designs and characters influenced what they do today.
- @DisneyAnimation: ARTISTS IN MOTION (Extended Edition) – Join Walt Disney Animation Visual Development artist Brittney Lee as she goes through the process of creating a three dimensional sculpture of Maleficent, completely out of paper. In this extended edition, go deeper into Britney’s process
Never Before Seen Deleted Scenes:
- The Fair (With Deleted Character – The Vulture) – In this version of the story, the fairies do not take the Princess to live with them in the forest. Convinced that King Stefan’s order to burn all the spinning wheels in the kingdom will not prevent Maleficent’s curse, the good fairies put a magic circle around the castle and cast a spell: “No evil thing that walks or flies or creeps or crawls can ever pass these castle walls.”
- The Curse is Fulfilled – The three good fairies have just returned Aurora to the castle and give her a crown. They leave the room to give Aurora some time alone…but Maleficent pays her a visit.
- Arrival Of Maleficent (Alternate Scene) – Maleficent arrives uninvited to the christening of the Princess Aurora.
- BEAUTY-OKE “Once Upon A Dream” – Sing along to this kinetic text video of Aurora’s signature song.
Classic DVD Bonus Features Include:
- The Sound Of Beauty: Restoring A Classic – This featurette covers the creation of the 7.1 mix of the score of Sleeping Beauty that was done for Blu-ray, using the source tapes from the original recording sessions resulting in an audio experience of superior quality with greater detail and fidelity that you have ever heard before.
- Picture Perfect: The Making Of Sleeping Beauty – Discover the behind-the-scenes magic that transformed a beloved fairy tale into a cinematic work of art. Legendary Animators, actors and film historians reveal the secrets behind Disney’s masterpiece.
- Eyvind Earle: A Man And His Art – Early in his career, renowned American Artist Eyvind Earle worked as a background painter at the Walt Disney Studio. Walt Disney liked his work so much that he entrusted him with the assignment to be the Art Director for Sleeping Beauty. This was the first time that one artist was given the responsibility for the entire look on one of Disney’s animated features. This piece follows Earle’s development as an artist and his years at the Studio.
- Audio Commentary by John Lasseter, Andreas Deja and Leonard Maltin
When our copy of Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition arrived in the mail, my 16 year old daughter proclaimed it was her favourite fairy tale and wanted to watch it right away. I thought it would be 10 year old that would be most excited to see it, but it was actually Olivia, the teenager! I guess I shouldn’t really be surprised because my own love for Disney fairy tales hasn’t waned and I’m in my mid-30s. It just goes to show you that you are never to old to enjoy a classic fairy tale.
I was very young the last time I saw Sleeping Beauty. I’m talking the early 80s! When I watched it again recently, I had flickers of memories of it, but mostly it was like watching it fresh again. Of course, I knew the story. Princess is cursed by an evil queen. On her 16th birthday she falls “asleep” and the only thing to wake her up is true love’s kiss.
The film also features the amazing song, “Once Upon a Dream”. I found myself humming the tune as Sleeping Beauty was singing in the forest.
This time around I was able to watch the movie on Digital HD! The film itself came out in 1959, but it’s been modernized for today’s viewing experience. The colours were vivid and sharp and the sound clear and sharp. Sleeping Beauty is out for a limited time only so make sure you get a copy!
Sleeping Beauty Crafts
Check out these fun Sleeping Beauty crafts for your little ones!
Sleeping Beauty Slumber Party Kit
For the older kids, here is a Sleeping Beauty Slumber Party Kit.
Connect with Sleeping Beauty on Facebook.
Stacie is the mom of two girls and lives in Ontario, Canada. She enjoys cooking/baking, photography, reading, DIY and is fueled by lots of coffee!