When I think fall desserts, there are two ingredients that immediately pop into my head. Can you guess what they are?
I know it’s not hard- pumpkins (of course!) and apples. You’ve probably been seeing an explosion of recipes for both on Pinterest. I normally make Apple Crisp, but this year I wanted to try something a little different. I had a recipe clipping from an old Chatelaine magazine that I’ve been wanting to try for years. I had some Red Delicious apples on hand so I figured I’d give it a whirl! I know Red Delicious isn’t traditionally used in baking, but I improvised. Thankfully, it turned out delicious!
This recipe is more like a bread pudding and John said it reminded him of those boxes of Sauce N’ Cake. Only he said the homemade version is a million times better. Thanks John. I thought so too.
The only thing I was missing from my recipe was some vanilla ice cream! I bet it would have been delicious topped with a scoop.
Now this is what I call a scrumptious fall dessert. I’ll be making this one again, but think I’ll use Granny Smith apples next time since I have a bunch in my fridge right now!
You’ll also like these Maple Syrup Bars.
This post contains affiliate links.
For a high quality maple syrup, try Maple Lifestyle.
- 4 apples, your choice, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan and spread apples on the bottom. Pour 1/2 cup maple syrup over top of the apples.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, lemon juice, remainder of maple syrup and milk.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture until fully combined and smooth. Stir in raisins and cinnamon.
- Pour batter over the apples as evenly as you can.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until apples are cooked and top is golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 4gSugar: 45gProtein: 4g