Disclosure: I am participating in the Nokia Lumia 635 Back To School Blog Campaign with enCompass Media and received product and payment as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinion on this blog are my own.
The back-to-school countdown is on! In less than two weeks, both my girls will be heading to new schools. Olivia is going to the high school I attended as a teen and may even have one of my best friends from high school as a teacher. Bridget will be starting the local elementary school in grade 5. We are heading to the school next week to register her. It’s been hectic and I’m doing my best to try and stay organized and on schedule. I have a little help though with my new smartphone, a Nokia Lumia 635! It’s new to Canada and was released on July 31st. Today I want to share with you some of my favourite features and key benefits of the Nokia Lumia 635 and how it has enhanced my life during this busy time of year.
1. Great value. If you’ve ever gone shopping for a smartphone, you’ll have noticed that they aren’t cheap! The Nokia Lumia 635 is very affordable and is great for people on a budget. It’s also good for those who have never had a smartphone before and are unsure if they will like it. They don’t have to spend a ton of money to find out. I can think of some elderly relatives who would enjoy the Nokia Lumia 635 as a starter phone. At Rogers, you can get one for $0.00 on select two year plans and to purchase the phone it’s only $199.99.
2. Fast performance. The Nokia Lumia 635 is equipped with a quad-core Snapdragon processor giving it a fast performance. It doesn’t lag when you are using the apps or surfing the net. With the Rogers LTE network, you’ll get super fast speeds so you can watch videos, share pictures on social media and more without buffering or delays. I also noticed it’s on a 4G network here with Rogers. My other smartphone is with a different company and I only have access to the 3G. I found that interesting. The Nokia Lumia 635 downloads content up to 10x faster than 3G. Good to know! I like my speed.
3. Windows Phone 8.1. The Nokia Lumia 635 is loaded with Windows 8.1 and all the awesome features that go with it. It’s worth noting that other low-end Android phones don’t come with the latest software, but this particular phone does AND at an affordable price. One neat feature is Word Flow which boasts being the fastest keyboard around. It guesses what you want to type before you type it making it super fast to send a text message, email or type a status update on your social media accounts. Another feature I’m digging is the Action Center. With a quick downward swipe, you’ll see your important notifications like missed calls, texts and emails in one spot.
4. WiFi Sense & Data Sense: When I’m home, I connect with my home WiFi network. When I’m out and about though and using my phone, I’m eating up data. I’m very conscious about data usage because if I go over the amount, I get charged. It’s hard to know where free WiFi is though. With the Nokia Lumia 635, you can turn on WiFi Sense. It will connect you automatically to WiFi hotspots when you’re out shopping, working, etc. This is great for people who want to save on mobile data usage. There’s also Data Sense which allows you to set limits to how much data you use and also to allow some data to only download when you are connected to WiFi. These features are perfect for data concious people!
5. Customizable. I can make it my own by choosing the background and accent colours. You can also add your own background photos and watch the real-time Live Tiles come to life. Upload your own image or use one of their gorgeous background photos. I love how vivid and crisp the photos are! I also like being able to pin the apps I use most to my home screen.
6. Gorgeous, bright display. The Nokia Lumia 635 has a ClearBlack 4.5″ LCD screen that brings your images and videos to life. I love browsing through Pinterest on this phone. I always get hungry though because the images look so clear and almost like I could reach through the screen and grab a quick bite.
7. Mix Radio. This is one of the Nokia signature apps that lets you listen to music for FREE on your phone. You can add your favourite artists and it will also play other songs from other artists similar to the ones you added to your favourites. You give the songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Mix Radio play more songs that appeal to you. It’s an intelligent radio! I wish my car had this.
8. HERE apps: These apps are more of the exclusive Nokia signature apps! HERE Drive+ is like your own GPS app on your phone telling you where to go as you navigate directions while you drive. You don’t even need an Internet connection to use it as long as you download the maps before you leave on your trip. This will come in handy when we go to Ottawa! If I’m ever lost, I’ll be checking out HERE Maps. It gives you offline maps in over 135 countries so you’ll always find your way. As I sit here in my home it’s pinpointed my location exactly! HERE Transit would be helpful for anyone who uses transit or lives in a big city. I would have loved this app in Edmonton. I took the bus everywhere when I lived there (and got lost a few times). I don’t even think Pembroke has a transit system anymore so I can’t use it here.
9. Changeable Shells. The Nokia Lumia 635 comes with a matte black shell at Rogers, Fido and TELUS, but you can also purchase brightly coloured shells to change up your experience. The colour options range from bright and glossy green, yellow and orange. I love the bright green shell I have on my phone. I never have to dig in my purse to find it. It’s a shining beacon. If I want a more muted look, I can easily switch it back to the matte black shell in a couple seconds.
10. OneDrive. With OneDrive you can see all your photos, videos and Microsoft Office docs. Work on your laptop during the day and save them to OneDrive. Then at night continue where you left off on your phone. The Nokia Lumia comes with 7GB of free cloud storage. Microsoft Office is built right into the Nokia Lumia 635. I use Word constantly!
As you can see the Nokia Lumia 635 is a powerful phone with high-end capabilities, but at a lower price. I’m really enjoying using it as I gear up for back-to-school. Anything that makes my life easier is welcome! Isn’t technology great?
What is your favourite feature of the Nokia Lumia 635?