Disclosure: I was compensated for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.
This winter has been particularly brutal. It’s colder, snowier, and the weather seems more extreme than normal. One day we have grass and the next day we have a huge snowstorm. It just seems to never end! I know I’m not alone in this sentiment. I see daily status updates from friends and family across the country bemoaning the cold temperatures and huge snowfalls. And don’t even get me started on the road conditions!
I’ve also noticed frequent posts about people sick with colds and flu bugs. Luckily, it hasn’t struck our household too bad this winter (knock on wood). Last winter, I had one of the worst flu bugs I think I’ve ever had in my life. I had a fever for almost a week and felt downright miserable. I was cold then hot then cold…you get the picture. Needless to say, I was so grateful when I finally got better. I could barely get myself out of bed in the morning!
Needless to say, I’ve been on the lookout for any signs of a cold or flu so I can act fast. I also know that prevention is key so I’m trying to keep my immune system strong.
Do you know the symptoms of a cold vs. the flu? Cold symptoms typically consist of a cough, scratchy throat, congestion and runny nose while flu symptoms are extreme fatigue, aches and pains, chills, fever and headache.
There are things you can do to lessen the likelihood that you’ll get sick with a cold or flu. Here’s a few easy tips to follow to keep your immune system strong:
1. Sleep – Everyone needs a good night’s sleep; proper shut-eye allows your body to rest and keeps your immune system strong
2. Multivitamin – A multivitamin can certainly help maintain good health and it’s important to have one that you’ll enjoy and remember to take. Vitafusion™ MultiVites™ adult gummy vitamins (yes, gummies for big kids!) contain the essential vitamins you need. For the kids, try L’il Critters™ GummyVites™. Kids love the flavour so much that if you forget to give them their vitamins, they’ll remind you!
3. Exercise – With a busy routine maintaining an exercise schedule can feel like a chore, but regular exercise is an easy way to keep your body strong, helping your immune system fight off illnesses such as a cold or flu.
4. Wash your hands – Your best protection from the common cold and flu is frequent hand washing
I’ve been following these four tips all winter long and so far so good. Hopefully I don’t jinx myself now by saying that!
If you do get sick with cold or flu bug, there are some things you can do to help yourself get better.
1. Treatment: With ingredients like ginger and willow bark, Gravol’s® Natural Source Multi Symptom will help you kick that cold to the curb. This all-in-one pain, fever and nausea reliever won’t leave you feeling drowsy either, because we all know you’ve got a million things to do
2. Exercise: Just as much of a preventative measure as it is a solution; don’t let sore muscles and joints stop you from being active. Bring out the triple threat – RUB A535® Triple Action Cream cools, warms and soothes to keep you going. Exercising will help your body fight the cold, improve your mood, boost your energy and help you sleep2 , a win-win situation
3. Drink Fluids: Just like your parents always said, drink lots of hot liquids to soothe your throat, thin your mucus and put you on the road to recovery
4. Vitamin C: No time to peel 10 tangerines? Try Vitafusion™ Power C™ adult gummy vitamins to up your vitamin C intake. Delicious orange flavour and yummy gummy texture will make remembering to take them the easiest thing you do today
I also find the RUB A535® Triple Action Cream helps with my headaches. I get upper back, shoulder and neck pain that causes horrible tension headaches. I find the cream takes the edge off the pain so I can function.
Have you been hit with a cold or flu this winter?