My Goals for 2014 #MomTrust
I’ve been making New Year’s resolutions for as long as I can remember. I prefer to call it a re-evaluation of my goals for the upcoming year and take stock of areas I need to improve upon both personally and professionally.
I mentioned back in December that I was part of an 11 month program called Playtex Mom Trust. This month I was asked to share some of my goals, plans and aspirations for the new year. I’ve put pen to paper or in this case, keyboard to blog post, and am sharing a few of the areas I plan to focus on in 2014.
1. Saving Money. John, my fiance, is no longer working so staying on track with our finances is imperative. We’ve always kept our finances separate with him paying certain bills and me paying others. I like it this way so I have complete control of what is in my bank account and always know how much money I have. We’ve cutback on some of our frivolous spending like daily trips to Tim Horton’s for coffee. Instead we are making coffee at home. I’ve also started a 52 Money Challenge where I’m putting a set amount of money away each week. I haven’t decided what I’ll do with the money I’m saving. It will be nice to know its there if I need it.
2. Read More Books. I’ve always been an avid reader, but have slowed down quite a bit on my reading since having kids. My house is filled with bookcases with books that I still haven’t read. This year I plan to focus on my To Be Read (TBR) pile of books and read what is actually on my shelves. I’m planning to cutback on buying more books and instead working on reading the ones I already own. If I like a book, I’ll keep it. If I don’t like it, I donate it. So far I’ve read about a half dozen books this year and they were all ones that have been sitting on my shelves for months (and in some cases- years!).
3. Walk More. Exercise is good for the mind, body and soul. I love going for walks and taking in the fresh air and getting my heart rate up. John needs to lose weight so I’m hoping he’ll go with me for walks once the weather improves. I used to exercise daily years ago and I remember the incredible rush I felt after a really good run.
4. Clear the Clutter. I’ve already done quite a bit of organizing in my home already after our extensive renovations. I think we’ve made at least 6 trips to the dump clearing away old furniture and other debris. Every item in our house should have a home and I also don’t want to hang onto junk that we don’t use or need. It’s been a process with John who considers himself a “collector” and likes to hang onto everything. We are getting there though and I’m finally starting to feel like everything is coming together. I like knowing where everything is and I plan to continue to work on improving the organization in our home. Though I still have to tackle the basement and I’m dreading that…..
5. More Quality Time with my Daughters. I want to spend more quality time with my girls doing activities we enjoy together. Olivia has expressed interest in learning how to cook and bake and I want to set time aside to teach her. Bridget enjoys art and making crafts so I want to find projects that we can work on together. She’s a natural and a very creative little girl.
6. Better Sleeping Habits. I love the days I can get up before sunrise and get a start on my day. The house is quiet and peaceful and I always feel like I’m ahead of the game to get up early. However, I can only do this when I get to bed at a decent hour. My goal this year is to be asleep by 11pm and up by 6am. I find if I stay up past midnight, I have a hard time getting up and feel rushed from the start of my day.
7. Improve my Photography. A few years ago, I got a DSLR for Christmas (thanks Mom & Dad!) and since then I’ve been working on learning as much as I can about photography. I still consider myself a beginner and have a lot to learn, but I’m enjoying the process. I look at my photos from a few years ago and shudder how bad they were. I’m nowhere near perfect now, but I’ve improved quite a bit! I plan to continue to soak in all the knowledge I can to continue to improve through books, blogs, online courses and of course, lots of practice!
What are your New Year’s resolutions? I’d love to hear what you plan to focus on in 2014.
Be sure to check out the Playtex Mommyville website for loads of information about Playtex products and connect with other moms. Also, join the Playtex Mommyville Facebook page for tips, coupons and more!
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.