Drink Your Milk Unleashed #milkunleashed
There’s one thing that it seems like I’m running to the store every other day to pick up. If you have kids in your home, you can probably guess what I’m going to say. It seems that I’m forever running out of milk! Both my girls (and John) drink milk every day. They love it on their cereal in the mornings and then want to drink it with lunch and supper. I’m guilty too of loving my milk. I have it in my coffee throughout the day. We go through a few cartons a week! Let’s just say on every grocery trip I’m always picking up milk.
I recently learned that there’s a whole other type of milk out there that I did not know about! It’s called shelf safe milkand it’s come to Canada. Shelf safe milk has been used for years in Europe and South America and is very popular there. I’ve only traveled within North America so I wasn’t aware of its existence until now. After reading about shelf safe milk, I’m definitely intrigued to try it. It’s Milk Unleashed!
What is Milk Unleashed?
Milk Unleashed is Grade A fluid milk that does not need to be refrigerated until you open the package. It’s ultra pasteurized and is packaged in special Tetra Pak cartons that preserve the freshness. The ultra pasteurization eliminates the bacteria while the Tetra Pak packaging keeps out light, air and contaminants. It has the same great milk taste we know and love as well as loads of nutrients.
Watch this video to learn more:
Benefits of Milk Unleashed
Now that I’ve been researching more on shelf safe milk, I can see there’s a number of benefits for my family.
1. Easy Storage: Our fridge isn’t that big so I usually only buy one carton of milk at a time. Milk Unleashed does not have to be stored in the fridge. I could put it on a shelf in our pantry and this way I can stock up on milk. You know what that means? Less running to the store!
2. Buy in Bulk: Milk was one thing I never could buy in bulk before. However, thanks to shelf safe milk I can stock up! Never run out of milk again. Hooray! Plus if the power goes out we can still enjoy milk. It’s also good to have in those emergency kits.
3. Nutritious: Milk Unleashed offers the same nutritional benefits as conventional milk stored in the fridge. It’s contains essential nutrients like calcium, Vitamins A, D and B12, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, riboflavin, niacin and zinc as well as protein. Drinking milk helps build strong bones, lowers blood pressure and helps to reduce the risk of diabetes and some types of cancers. Canada’s Food Guide recommends children drink at least 2 cups of milk or milk products per day. My mom always instilled in my sisters and I that drinking milk was important for building strong bones. I’m passing along that same line of thinking onto my two girls.
4. Portability: The beauty of Milk Unleashed is that it can be brought wherever you or your kids are going. I never had milk in my school lunchbox growing up because it would spoil by lunch. With Milk Unleashed, my kids can drink cold milk with their lunches at school. The trick to keep it cold is to freeze the Tetra Paks and it should be the right temperature by midday. Other places I’d bring shelf safe milk is on picnics, boating and road trips and camping. It’s whole new world people. Milk on the go…
5. Longer expiration dates: When the kids are with their dad, the milk in my fridge goes bad. Sorry didn’t mean to rhyme there! But what I’m trying to say is that I hate wasting milk, but if it goes bad because my milk drinkers aren’t here, then what can you do? Milk Unleashed has a much longer shelf life and can last up to six months! The packaging will tell you when it expires.
6. Environmental benefits: Shelf safe milk doesn’t need to be refrigerated for both distribution or storage. This, in turn, saves energy. The stores don’t need to have as many deliveries to keep milk on hand and that ripples down to fewer trucks being on the road. The Tetra Pak cartons are recyclable and made of 70% paper from selectively harvested, re-grown trees.
I’m excited that Milk Unleashed is in Canada. It’s always good to have options and after learning about all the benefits of shelf safe milk, it seems like a good fit for our family. I have two active girls who play sports, love the outdoors and drink loads of milk!
Find shelf safe milk in your local grocery store. I’ll be looking for some Milk Unleashed on our next shopping trip!
This blog post is part of a paid SocialMoms and Milk Unleashed blogging program. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own.