Save Money with AIR MILES Cash
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post. However, all opinions expressed are 100% my own.
There are number of factors that come into play when I decide where to shop. I look for convenience (how close the store is to me), selection offered and price. Another important thing I consider though, is whether or not the store has a rewards program. I prefer to shop at stores that give back with rewards so I can get the most bang for my buck.
Out of all the loyalty rewards cards I carry with me in my wallet, the one I use the most is definitely my AIR MILES card. I’ve been a member since I was 19 years old when my Grandma June recommended I sign up. She raved about using her AIR MILES card when she did her grocery shopping and enjoyed watching her miles grow. She’s no longer with us, but I always smile when I use my AIR MILES card. It’s a happy reminder of my beloved grandma.
Recently, I switched my AIR MILES card to earn toward my Cash balance. This way any AIR MILES I earn from now on will allow me to save money instantly at participating retailers. For instance, I shop at Sobeys for my groceries here in Nova Scotia. Once I get 95 AIR MILES in my account, I can redeem them for $10 off my grocery bill. The cashier takes the money immediately off my bill! Saving money is awesome! Every little bit helps.
How to Use AIR MILES Cash
It’s very simple to activate your AIR MILES Cash rewards balance. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Visit AIR MILES to activate your account and set your preference. You can divide your future earned miles between either AIR MILES Cash or Dream. Cash lets you redeem miles instantly at participating retailers while Dream lets you save your miles and redeem for larger purchases.
2. Earn towards your AIR MILES Cash balance. After you’ve set your preference, your future rewards will accumulate towards that balance. You can change your ratio preference at any time. I have mine set to 100% Cash rewards.
3. Redeem instantly at participating retailers with your AIR MILES reward card. Save money instantly at the register from your AIR MILES Cash balance.
Financial expert, Rubina Ahmed-Haq has some more tips on how Canadians can save money!
1. Make a budget and get familiar with it. That way, you know whether that purchase you’re going to make is going to throw you off track.
2. Make a shopping list and stick to it when you’re in the store – don’t be tempted by sales on items you don’t actually need. Research has actually shown that you spend almost 25% less when you shop with a list!
3. Use coupons to save on your everyday purchases.
4. Take advantage of loyalty programs – especially those programs that save you real dollars at checkout (and at a variety of retailers) such as AIR MILES Cash.
5. Do your research before buying big-ticket items and pool all your funds and resources, including loyalty program miles. Many of us penny pinch over the cost of a loaf of bread, but don’t think twice about spending hundreds (or thousands!) extra on items like large appliances. Don’t think your loyalty card can help you put money towards a fridge? Think again – you can also use AIR MILES Cash at Rona, Shell and many other locations across the country..
The only thing I really need to work on is taking advantage of coupons more often. I always forget to bring them with me to the store. Which areas do you need to work on?