Book Review | Fight Your Way to a Better Marriage
Author: Dr. Greg Smalley
My marriage has been an amazing adventure with ups and downs that are both exhilarating and frustrating. I was very excited to read the book, Fight Your Way To A Better Marriage by Dr. Greg Smalley who is the Executive Director of Marriage at Focus On The Family (an excellent resource for my family).
Fight Your Way To A Better Marriage: How Healthy Conflict Can Take You To Deeper Levels of Intimacy is a refreshing marriage advice book that empathizes how a successful marriage cannot grow without conflict. While it doesn’t encourage you to literally “fight” on a regular basis it does offer effective ways to communicate as well as the values of conflict to include a few such as:
- How to break, old ineffective patterns
- A way to guard against being too comfortable or too complacent, which breed mediocrity and boredom (my favorite chapter personally)
- Insight into your own personal issues
- Reduction of tension as emotions are vented and stress is released
- Greater trust and intimacy after pushing through difficult and heated conversations (I believe this is what my husband affectionately refers to as “makeup sex” which is his favorite part of a fight between us).
This Christian based book features real life issues that many couple will experience (or are experiencing) in their marriage and offers spiritual and practical ways to address these issues. I love the author’s matter of fact writing style which has inspired me to take an honest look at myself and the ways that I can personally work towards making my marriage more satisfying. One quote in the book by Carl Jung especially resonated with me, “To become acquainted with oneself is a terrible shock” as I realize that I need to address my own personal flaws before attacking my husband for his.
I enjoyed Fight Your Way To A Better Marriage very much and it is available for purchase for the SRP of $21.99 at major retailers and online at Amazon.com, Christianbook.com and more.
*I received a copy of this book for review, but was not compensated financially in any way. The opinions expressed are my own and are based solely on my experiences while reading this novel.*