Savour the Summer with Sobeys Recipes
A few things come to mind when I think about summer: hot weather, long days, the beach and barbecue season! I take advantage of the nice weather as often as I can and enjoy getting outdoors. One summer past time is the family barbecue. We used to do those weekly when I still lived in Ontario. My dad loves his grill! Now that we are much further away in Nova Scotia, we still barbecue but it’s just fewer of us eating.
John and I will normally head to Sobeys and pick up some steak and all the fixins’. Sobeys is the store we shop at most often because they have the best quality and selection of food in our area. I recently learned that Sobeys is the exclusive retailer of Sterling Silver Premium AAA fresh beef. They only use the top 12% of all grain-fed cattle and every cut is sourced and hand-selected for top notch quality. I ended up purchasing a few different cuts of the Sterling Silver Premium AAA beef. They are the perfect summer food (and also good for a girl like me on a low carb diet!).
On our recent shopping trip to Sobeys, I purchased the ingredients to make three recipes from the Inspired website: Creamy Zucchini “Pasta” with Tomato & Basil, Zesty Shrimp Flatbread and Sirloin Flap with Tangy Herb Sauce. I had to improvise a little from the recipes below though. The produce section was completely out of basil so I left that out of the zucchini pasta and just used the tomatoes. For the meat, I couldn’t find the Sirloin Flap so I substituted with a regular sirloin steak (Sterling Silver Premium AAA). There was no flatbread available so I used Our Compliments garlic bread. All dishes still turned out beautifully though!
Check out the recipe and my pictures!
Creamy Zucchini “Pasta” with Tomato & Basil
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup (250 mL) Compliments Gourmet MEDLEYTM Exotic flavoured tomatoes,
- large ones cut in half or quarters
- 3 cups (750 mL) skin removed, shredded Gourmet Minute BBQ Chicken
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Sensations by Compliments Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- ½ pkg (60 g) Sensations by Compliments Garlic & Herb Goat Cheese, crumbled
- 10 fresh Compliments Basil leaves, roughly chopped
Using a vegetable peeler, peel zucchini into long strips and place in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and chicken to bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper and toss with salad. Sprinkle goat cheese and basil overtop and gently toss. Do not over mix or goat cheese may clump together.
PREP TIME: 10 min. TOTAL TIME: 20 min. SERVES: 4
Zesty Shrimp Flatbread
- ¾ bag (341 g) frozen Compliments Cooked Pacific White Shrimp (71-90 ct),
- thawed and tails removed
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh Compliments Mint
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) seeded and minced jalapeño pepper
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 1 pkg (275 g) Sensations by Compliments Original Flatbread
- ½ cup (125 mL) Compliments Tzatziki Yogourt & Cucumber Dip
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded lettuce
Place shrimp in a bowl, sprinkle lime zest and 4 tsp (20 mL) lime juice overtop. Stir in onion, mint, jalapeño, tomato and salt.
Spread tzatziki on flatbread, sprinkle with lettuce and scatter shrimp mixture overtop.
PREP TIME: 10 min. TOTAL TIME: 15 min. SERVES: 4
Sirloin Steak with Tangy Herb Sauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) lightly packed flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup (60 mL) lightly packed fresh Compliments Cilantro
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) olive oil
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) Compliments Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Sensations by Compliments Oregano Seasoning Paste
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) dried chili peppers
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, divided
- 1 piece (approx 1 ½ lb/750 g) Sterling Silver® Sirloin Flap
In a small food processor, combine parsley, cilantro, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano paste, dried chili peppers and 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) salt and process into a smooth paste.
Preheat barbecue to high. Place beef in a shallow baking dish and spoon half the paste overtop, spreading over both sides of meat with back of spoon.
Sprinkle both sides of beef with remaining salt. Grill approx. 7 min. per side for medium-rare. Do not flip more than once. Remove beef from barbecue and let rest, 10 min. Thinly slice against the grain and serve with remaining paste.
PREP TIME: 5 min. TOTAL TIME: 35 min. SERVES: 4
Our meal was delicious! I loved using all the fresh ingredients and the steak was so juicy and tender. The steak and the zucchini fit perfectly on my low carb diet. The shrimp flatbead I let John eat most of the bread and I ate the shrimp topping.
For more summer recipe ideas, visit Inspired. I’ve got it bookmarked because I see a bunch more that I want to try!
Disclosure: I was not financially compensated for this post. I received a sample of the product for review purposes. The opinions are my own, based on my personal experience with the product.