Book Review | InStyle Ultimate Beauty Secrets
Author: Editors of InStyle Magazine
InStyle magazine is one of the most trusted sources for beauty secrets, tips, and tricks and now they have compiled some of the very best ones in InStyle Ultimate Beauty Secrets: The Best Tips, Tricks, and Shortcuts to Create Your Perfect Look.
This beauty “Bible” is filled with over 200 tips from the InStyle editors, makeup professionals, and Hollywood stars. I wish a book like this had been available when I first started experimenting with makeup around the age of 13. My first makeup purchases were total disasters: bright pink lipstick, bright blue eyeshadow, and brown liquid eyeliner that I thought was mascara. This book is perfect for anyone who is just learning about makeup to more experienced makeup wearers; you’re guaranteed to find at least one trick in here that you didn’t know that could benefit you and your beauty routine.
InStyle Ultimate Beauty Secrets is divided into the following sections: Skin, Foundation & Concealer, Cheeks, Eyes, Lips, Nails, and The Best of the Rest. I learned something new from every section, and can’t wait to try out some of these tricks. I’m constantly dealing with dry, scaly feet, and there are suggestions in here on how to remedy that. I want to learn how to create the perfect smoky eye, and there are step-by-step instructions on how to get this look perfectly and quickly. I can’t afford routine manicures, but that’s okay; I can do one at home with the right products.
Here are my favorite 5 beauty tricks that I learned from reading this book:
1. Wash your face once a month with a dandruff shampoo instead of your regular cleanser if you have flaky, dry skin. This will reduce the yeast levels which cause scaly skin. (I get flaky skin especially on my forehead and cheeks.)
2. Apply your foundation first, and then your concealer. Doing it the other way around makes it so that the foundation covers up the concealer. (I didn’t know this; I only recently started wearing concealer, and applied it first.)
3. When using cheek color, the texture of it should match the texture of your foundation. For example, if you use a liquid foundation, then use a liquid cheek color. (On the rare occasions that I put on foundation, it’s liquid. The only cheek color I have is a powder.)
4. Messy, cracked eyeshadow doesn’t have to be thrown out! Put it into a makeup palette and crush it. Add Vaseline or eye cream to make a creamy shadow. (Really good tip for anyone to save some money.)
5. Don’t pump your mascara! That pushes air into it, and dries out your mascara. (I’m totally guilty of doing this; no wonder I am always seemingly needing to replace my mascara.)
If you want more tips and secrets, then InStyle Ultimate Beauty Secrets is a must-buy book that is guaranteed to save you money and time.
*I received a copy of this book to review but I was not financially compensated in any way. The opinions expressed are my own and are based on my observations while reading this novel.*