Fit2Fight Diabetes Campaign
My grandfather aka Grumpie developed Type 2 Diabetes later on his life. His diet was poor and he ate a lot of sweets. He loved oatmeal raisin cookies! I remember one time when I went to visit him with my sister and cousins and brought him a box of cookies. He asked if we wanted one and we all said “sure!”. He grabbed a cookie and broke it up into four small pieces for each of us! I thought this was quite humourous at the time and thought, “Wow, either Grumpie loves those cookies and wants them all to himself or that man does not know how to share!”
Grumpie passed away two years ago in his early 80s. In the last ten years of his life, he had a multitude of health concerns one of them being Type 2 Diabetes. He lost his leg as a result of a cut on his foot that got infected with Gangrene. After that he lost his mobility and literally wasn’t able to leave the house. He had a nurse come in to help him every day and he relied on my mom and aunts to do his laundry and tidy his home. When he needed a hair cut, my sister Laura would go over and cut it for him. I used to make him extra meals and put them in his freezer since it was hard for him to cook. I just felt so bad for him and hated to see him like that. His quality of life suffered immensely.
As you may or may not know already, November is Diabetes Month. Did you know that Type 2 Diabetes is a preventable disease and that it affects 25.8 million people in the USA? That’s almost the entire population of Canada! Better’n Eggs is working to raise awareness with its Fit2Fight Diabetes Campaign. If you check out my Twitter you will see that I will be sporting their Twibbon for the entire month of November.
Crystal Farms Better’n Eggs and AllWhites are fat-free, cholesterol-free, and low-calorie alternatives to shell eggs and can be used as egg alternative for people with the goal of preventing Type 2 Diabetes or who currently have the disease. With these products, you can still enjoy your favourite foods. Both are made from real eggs with the AllWhites being 100% liquid egg whites and the Better’n Eggs being 98% liquid egg whites and 2% vitamins and minerals. They are a source of lean protein which is an important part of healthy diet controlling blood sugar levels and hunger.
Plus there’s lots of delicious recipes you enjoy using these products including this recipe for Spicy Bacon & Cheese Eggwich!
Spicy Bacon & Cheese Eggwich
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Better’n Eggs®
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Crystal Farms® Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, split
1. Spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add Better’n Eggs and stir in hot pepper sauce. As Better’n Eggs start to set use spatula to lift edge of eggs, letting uncooked eggs flow to bottom of skillet. Cook until Better’n Eggs are set but still moist. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and then fold over the Better’n Eggs so cheese melts in the middle.
2. Place turkey bacon on microwave safe plate. Cover with paper towel. Microwave on HIGH 30 to 40 seconds or until warmed.
3. Toast each half English muffin in toaster. Spoon about 1/2 cup Better’n Eggs mixture on top of 4 toasted muffins. Top each with 1 piece cooked bacon. Top with remaining toasted muffins.
Serves 2. 17 g protein, 226 calories.
#betterneggs Twitter Party
Don’t miss the #betterneggs Twitter Party with Bob Greene on November 16th from 8 to 10 pm EST! Visit Mamavation for more info.
*This post is brought to you by Better’n Eggs® through Global Influence. All opinions and experiences are 100% my own.*