Planet Earth Special Edition Review
Release Date: October 4, 2011
About the DVD:
This fall, experience the ultimate portrait of our world like never before as BBC Earth releases Planet Earth Special Edition and Planet Earth Limited Collector’s Edition to Blu-ray and DVD. Arriving in stores on October 4, the blockbuster series looks more beautiful than ever, taking advantage of new advances in high definition technology since the original release. Both the 6-disc Blu-ray and DVD box sets showcase over three hours of fresh bonus materials including a sneak peak at Alastair Fothergill’s next project Frozen Planet, the all-new specially made program Greatest Planet Earth Moments and several other new features. Additionally, the Planet Earth Special Edition Blu-ray contains the eleven production video diaries and the bonus series Planet Earth: the Future, which were not included on the original Blu-ray release. Available only while supplies last, the Planet Earth Limited Collector’s Edition comes in an exquisite, numbered, collectible globe package with an exclusive set of four art cards.
From the makers of The Blue Planet: Seas of Life, Planet Earth premiered on Discovery Channel in 2007 and became a global phenomenon. Featuring the original BBC series presented by Sir David Attenborough, Planet Earth is the #1 selling documentary DVD and #1 selling non-theatrical Blu-ray release of all-time – with over 5 million units in print. The recipient of four Emmy Awards including Outstanding Nonfiction Series, the groundbreaking series garnered media acclaim including the New York Times hailing it as a “a tour de force…a masterpiece” and the Chicago Tribune lauding it as “an absolutely extraordinary achievement.”
Fuelled by a production budget of over $25 million, Planet Earth is the most expensive factual series ever created by the BBC. Five years in the making, the first-ever nature series to be filmed entirely in high definition required over 2000 days in the field and used 40 cameramen who filmed across 200 locations around the globe. Utilizing state-of-the-art filming techniques and technologies – ranging from revolutionary aerial lens stabilization and flash strobe-systems to ultra high-speed cameras – Planet Earth lovingly captures rare action, impossible locations and intimate moments with our planet’s best-loved, wildest and most elusive creatures. From the highest mountains to the deepest rivers, this awe-inspiring series takes viewers on an unforgettable journey through the daily struggle for survival in Earth’s most extreme habitats.
NEW BLU-RAY AND DVD BONUS FEATURES
- Special Sneak Peek at Executive Producer Alastair Fothergill’s next blockbuster project: Frozen Planet
- Commentary on select episodes
- Greatest Planet Earth Moments – Relive the greatest moments of this revolutionary series and discover how these scenes were captured on film.
- Snow Leopard: Beyond the Myth – The BBC Natural History Unit explores a secret cave deep in the mountains of Pakistan where generations of snow leopards return each year to raise their young.
- Secrets of the Maya Underworld – The freshwater pools that dot Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula were believed by the Mayans to be portals to the underworld. For the first time ever, the BBC Natural History Unit explores this incredible, labyrinthine system of underground rivers.
- Elephant Nomads of the Namib Desert – Follow the struggle for survival of two female elephants trying to raise their young in one of the harshest climates on Earth.
- Music only viewing option
Planet Earth Six-Disc Special Edition is breathtaking to watch. With the stunning and diverse landscapes all over the world and the close up views of animals (some of which I’d never heard of before), I was captivated throughout all six DVDs.
The DVDs are broken down into segments on various areas throughout the globe including:
- From Pole to Pole
- Fresh Water
- Ice Worlds
- Great Plains
- Shallow Seas
- Seasonal Forests
- Ocean Deep
- Saving the Species
- Into the Wilderness
- Living Together
- Snow Leopard: Beyond the Myth
- Secrets of the Maya Underworld
*I did not receive any financial compensation for this review, though I did review a sample of the product for evaluation purposes. The opinions are based only on my experiences with the product.*