Chapters 6-9 Discussion Questions for The Help Read-Along
I made The Help a separate category so it’s to find. Here’s the next set of discussion questions for The Help Read-Along.
1. Skeeter sends a letter to Elaine Stein detailing things that bother her. If you were to compile a list like Skeeter’s, what topics would yours include?
2. Hilly tells Elizabeth and Skeeter that she fired Minny because she caught her stealing silver. Do you believe Hilly? Why or why not?
3. Aibileen, a black maid, is much better qualified to answer Skeeter’s column than she is. Is it fair that Skeeter will get the credit for the answers, and Aibileen gets nothing? Do you think it would have been possible for a black woman to get that job?
4. In Chapter 6, Skeeter tries to find out what happened to her maid, Constantine, and she is told that she went to live with her people back in Chicago. She then learns Constantine was fired. What do you think happened?
5. Why do you think that Hilly has so much influence over Elizabeth and even Skeeter? Do you think Skeeter likes her very much? Why does she remain friends with her?
6. Aibileen says, “I want to stop that moment…in ever white child’s life–when they start to think that colored folks ain’t as good as whites”. When do you think that this happens? At what age do the children begin to see themselves as better than their maids?
7. Skeeter’s date with Stuart is a total disaster. Do you think she should give him another chance, or is she better off on her own?