I don’t mind cleaning and actually I kind of like doing it. I find it relaxes me when I am stressed because it helps me clear my head. There is nothing better than a fresh smelling home or a newly washed floor. Especially with all the bugs going around now, it is so important to keep those germs at bay and out of our home.
I want to share with you some findings from a study that was done by the Hygiene Council. I think you will be somewhat surprised. I know I was!
Here’s a brief synopsis:
- The UK, Germany and Saudi Arabia all had cleaner kitchen sink faucets than the US.
- Kitchen surfaces (faucets and sponges) harbour more germs than bathroom surfaces and faucets and sponges are dramatically worse than the toilet flush handle and the bathroom door handle.
- Despite American home owners claiming to clean their kitchen sink faucets (specifically the handle) once per week, 60% of faucets analyzed failed the hygiene test. This is dramatically worse than in 2008 where only 25% failed.
Here’s some hygiene tips they recommend (some of these are no-brainers):
- Frequent hand washing with soap and water.
- Surface disinfection- kill the germs on surfaces with a disinfectant spray (ie. the kitchen faucet).
- Cough and sneeze etiquette- cough into your elbow and sneeze in a tissue to prevent the spread of germs to others.
I recently had the opportunity to review Lysol Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Disinfecting Wipes and to test them out in my home. I have been using Lysol for a number of years and its become one of my trusted brands of cleaning supplies.
Lysol Disinfectant Spray kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses including the dreaded H1N1 that we keep hearing so much about. It also works on mold and mildew and is the #1 brand recommended by pediatricians. It’s a versatile product that can be used on just about any surface in your home including counter tops, door knobs and upholstery.
I love using this spray in the kitchen on my faucet, cupboards and counter. Its great because one spray usually does the job and it leaves everything looking clean and sparkly. It comes in a variety of fragrances including Crisp Linen, Spring Waterfall, Early Morning Breeze, Garden Mist, Summer Breeze, Country Scent, and Original.
My absolute favourite product is the Lysol Disinfecting Wipes 4 in 1. Again, these are great on cleaning and disinfecting household surfaces and kills 99.9% of germs including the bacteria that causes odours. They work awesome on cleaning baseboards which get so icky and gross. I love how they are so convenient to use and do the job in a snap. They come in two fragrances- Citrus Scent and Spring Waterfall.
is a brand I trust and I like knowing that I am doing my part in keeping our family safe from germs that could make them sick. To learn more about germs, please visit The Germ Information Center.
You can find Lysol products in the cleaning aisle at most grocery stores, department store or convenience store nationwide.
Disclosure: I was not financially compensated for this post. I received a sample of the product for review purposes. The opinions are my own, based on my personal experience with the product.