Healthy Shepherd’s Pie #AllBran
‘Tis the season for comfort food! Trending right now is something called “comfort food moderne”. It’s healthy, upscale comfort food that is both tasty and good for you. Kellogg’s All-Bran has partnered with three top Canadian chefs to create restaurant-worthy comfort dishes that will inspire you to create your own fibre-filled recipes as well as delight your taste buds. I’ve been following along the new All-Bran Canada Pinterest account and they have inspired me! They have so many yummy recipes I want to try. If you aren’t following them yet on Pinterest, head on over now to follow. I’ll wait here!
I’ve also been busy in the kitchen creating my own comfort food recipes! You may recall my appetizer recipe, French Onion Stuffed Mushrooms. Today, I’ve got another fibre-filled recipe, Healthy Shepherd’s Pie with the star ingredient, All-Bran Original cereal.
You’ll need some ground beef, cauliflower, Worcestershire sauce, frozen mixed veggies, onion, garlic, chicken broth, tomato sauce, paprika and All-Bran Original cereal.
This shepherd’s pie recipe has a couple healthy twists. The first one is that I used cauliflower instead of the traditional mashed potatoes for the topping.
Roast your cauliflower florets in the oven. I may have snuck a few at this point!
You’ll need a food processor or a good blender to mash them up. They’ll be nice and soft after being in the oven.
Add chicken broth and let your appliance do its job. You’ll end up with a yummy cauliflower mash. Set it aside for now while you prepare the filling.
I used extra lean ground beef for my meat, but ground chicken or turkey would also work here too if you wanted to substitute.
After your meat is browned and onions are softened, it’s time to add in the rest of the filling ingredients. All-Bran Original cereal blends in nicely with the beef.
Layer the meat mixture in your baking pan. It’s starting to come together!
Spread the cauliflower mash evenly over top of the meat. It’s onward to the oven!
I covered mine with aluminum foil for the first 20 minutes of baking. Then, I removed it for the last 10 minutes so the topping could brown a little.
It smells so good! I wanted to dig in right away. Be careful though because it will be hot.
Healthy Shepherd's Pie
A comfort food classic recipe gets a makeover. This Healthy Shepherd’s Pie has a mashed cauliflower topping and fibre filled filling. Delish!
- 1 cauliflower, cut in florets
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 cup All-Bran Original cereal
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spread cauliflower in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Roast for 30 minutes. Cool slightly before transferring to a food processor or blender. Add in chicken broth and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ground beef to a large skillet over medium high heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in onion and garlic and continue cooking until beef is browned and onions are softened.
- Add in paprika, frozen vegetables, tomato sauce and All Bran cereal. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for several minutes until heated through.
- Spread beef mixture at the bottom of an 8 inch square baking pan. Spoon cauliflower mixture evenly over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400F. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot.
I love that this recipe isn’t as carb heavy as the original and contains healthy fibre. Plus, it tastes delicious!
Including fibre in your diet is so important. It promotes regularity and contributes to healthy cholesterol levels. Experts recommend we get 25g of fibre a day. It’s a struggle for many Canadians, but it doesn’t have to be. There are so many delicious recipes high in fibre to try that have the best of both words – healthy and scrumptious!
Check out my appetizer recipe for French Onion Stuffed Mushrooms and enter the giveaway for an All-Bran prize pack!
What is your favourite way to include fibre in your family’s meals?
Connect with All-Bran Canada on Pinterest.
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.