Book Review | The S’mores Cookbook

The S'mores Cookbook

*I received a copy of this book for review, but was not compensated financially in any way. The opinions expressed are my own and are based solely on my experiences while reading this book.*

Title: The S’mores Cookbook: From S’mores Stuffed French Toast to a S’mores Cheesecake Recipe, Treat Yourself to S’more of Everything

Author: Susan Whetzel

About the Book:

Who says you need to be sitting in front of a fire to enjoy the irresistible taste of s’mores? Oozing with fifty mouthwatering recipes, The S’mores Cookbook shows you how to indulge in the rich blend of creamy chocolate, toasted marshmallows, and honeyed graham crackers at every meal. From Chocolate Graham Pancakes drizzled with a sweet marshmallow syrup to S’mores Eclairs smothered in a dark chocolate ganache, this book combines your favorite trio of flavors in ways you’ve never imagined to create delicious plates that will impress friends and family. Featuring step-by-step instructions and enticing four-color photos, you’re guaranteed to melt when you dig into delicious s’mores recipes like:

• Toasted marshmallow s’Mores ice cream
  • Black forest s’Mores
  • No-bake oatmeal s’Mores cookies
  • S’mores chocolate bread pudding
  • Crock-Pot s’Mores brownies

The S’mores Cookbook will satisfy your cravings for the gooey campfire treat all year long!

My Review:

S’mores has always been a favourite campfire dessert! I mean it’s seriously easy to make s’mores: just graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate right? After reading The S’mores Cookbook by Susan Whetzel, my eyes are opened to a whole new decadent world of s’mores. Warning: reading this book will put your sweet tooth in overdrive!

The cookbook opens with a history of the s’more. I learned how the s’more got its name and how the Girls Scouts were first credited with the official s’mores recipe back in 1927. The author also discusses the ingredients in s’mores including the different varieties of chocolate you can use and how to store it.

Then the book is divided into chapters with s’mores recipes! With chapters on Breakfast S’mores, Cakes & Pies, Cookies & Brownies, Drinks and more, I was amazed at the author’s creativity in putting the s’mores spin on some of my favourite types of desserts. S’mores Stuffed French Toast anyone? Or how about S’mores Creme Brulee? Oh my yum. Really there isn’t one recipe in there that I wouldn’t try. I want them all!

I wanted to start out with a simple recipe that wouldn’t take me long to make. I’ll work my way up to the more elaborate ones when I’ve got more time on my hands. I made the Reese’s Cup Fluffernutter S’mores from the Not Your Average S’more chapter. They literally only took 5 minutes to make and were absolutely heavenly! Melted chocolate, peanut butter with gooey marshmallow fluff and a crispy graham cracker. Perfection.

The S'mores Cookbook

In the very last chapter, I love that the author gives her recipes to make your own ingredients for S’mores from scratch. There’s a recipe for Homemade Marshmallows and Homemade Graham Crackers I want to try. I wonder how having all the ingredient made from scratch would compare. I’m betting that it would make the recipes even more amazing if that’s possible.

I can’t wait to impress my family with more  of these mouthwatering recipes. The hardest part will be deciding what to make next!

About the Author:

Susan Whetzel (Pearisburg, VA) is a professional baker, food blogger, and award-winning recipe developer. She was profiled in Taste of Home magazine and her blog, DoughMessTic, has been featured on several high-profile cooking websites, including Betty Crocker, Martha Stewart, foodgawker, and Foodie View. You can visit her blog at www.doughmesstic.com, or follow her on twitter @doughmesstic.

Comments

Love this and kids – of all ages – will too! The smore is a classic. My grand kids want to camp in their yard just to make smores. Smore flavored products are popping up all over the market from cereals to ice cream to poptarts. Why not have a cookbook designated specifically for smores! The smores bread pudding and smores no bake oatmeal cookies are right up my alley, but I’m sure there are many recipes I’d enjoy.

2. Karen Glatt says

This is my kind of Cookbook! I like chocolate and graham crackers and I am going to make some of thse awesome yummy recipes! I am going to look at this authors blog and look at her recipes!

3. Anne Taylor says

This has to be the best book I’ve ever heard of! What could be better than a cook book full of smores!

thanks

4. Jo-Ann Brightman says

This sounds like a marvelous cookbook . The author had to be very inventive to find all different ways to make and combine S’mores. I love that she has homemade recipes for graham crackers.

5. md kennedy says

AWESOME! I cannot wait to make the no-bake oatmeal S’mores. Anything s’more just brings back great memories of camping when I was a kid.

6. Erika B says

Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering! My son would love to bake a lot of these recipes with me. Ill have to keep an eye out for this awesome book!

7. jen s. says

wow, never occurred to me that one could be so creative with s’mores. I had some the other week (it was at a campfire…) but it’s pretty cool to be able to make in a regular kitchen and it’s also a lot of fun for the kids and guests too. great cookbook idea.

8. Gale McCarron says

What an exciting book to have to share with the family who always enjoys a little s’mores on the weekends :)

9. Debby Chandler says

I’m thinking about giving this book to my son and his wife as a Christmas present. Thanks for sharing!

Wow this sounds like a great cookbook. One that I would like to own for myself. Everybody loves S’mores of all kinds and there are lots here to make. Fun at camping or having a party outside. Kids have fun making their own . thanks for the info

11. Sandra K321 says

This cookbook would be perfect for my sister-in-law. She loves smores and even more than smores, she loves chocolate. They have a cabin next to a pond and they make smores over the campfire. Sounds like a perfect gift idea.

12. Darwin says

I have always loved s’mores and I would eat basically anything that has s’mores written in it. Will try to find this cookbook.

13. Amy Green says

My mom and I will love this. I wish I’d been able to try that new Dairy Queen Bliizzard version. My all-time favorite, though, is the discontinued variety from Lunchables-it was the best S’mores!

14. Kathleen says

okay, so I LOVE s’mores, but who knew that you could make them so MANY ways that it warrants a cook book? Now I think I have to have this book. I mean, I really do LOVE s’mores! Thanks for the post, I need to go and sign into my Amazon acct and check into getting “The S’mores Cookbook”!!