DIY Spice Rack

Disclosure: I received a coupon from StickerYou.com towards the purchase of the labels. The rest of the items I purchased on my own or had already in my house. Opinions expressed are 100% my own.

I’ve never owned a spice rack. I’ve never liked the look of the counter top spice racks and how they took up precious space. My spices have always been stored in my pantry…in a disorganized mess. I never knew what I already had on hand and now I have multiple packages of the same spices. I’d go grocery shopping and forget what I already had at home and end up realizing when I got home that I wasted my money.

We are in the process of renovating our kitchen. It’s still a work-in-progress and I’ll be grateful the day it’s finally done. I knew I wanted a spice rack and got the idea of how to make one after looking at StickerYou online and seeing their cute spice rack labels! I remembered John had an old shelf that his kids scribbled marker all over and he was using it to store his Star Wars action figures. (He’s a collector).

I already had black paint and primer from a few years ago when we painted an old dresser. I thought the shelf would be the perfect spice rack for my new kitchen. I think it turned out fabulous! My kitchen doesn’t have the drywall up yet so it’s hanging in my back office for now until it’s ready (don’t mind the ugly wood paneling!).

This is the finished look…

DIY Spice Rack

Here’s what it looked like before….It’s nice wood, but it was ruined with the marker.

spicerack14

My spices were a disaster. I had so many spices and to try and find them when I was making a recipe was a real pain! I’d pull one out of the cupboard and they would all fall out. It just wasn’t working anymore.

spicerack4

My mom picked me up some cute jars at Walmart when she came down to visit last month. They were $1 each at Walmart.

spicerack5

I created these spice jar labels at StickerYou. You can customize them and choose your design, colours, font and what each will say. I spent a couple hours on their site making them. I knew what spices I had already in my cupboard, but needed to fill up the stickers with other spices I may potentially buy someday. I googled and found a bunch of lists and picked the ones I was most likely to use. Then I left some blank ones so I could write on them if I needed to. There is 63 labels in total here.

The spice labels cost $8.99 and shipping was $3.99. They actually didn’t take that long to arrive. I was expecting them to take longer than they did. I think they came in about a week.

spicerack6

I spent three days getting the shelf ready. First I primed with Latex Acrylic tinted primer.

spicerack1

The second day I put on my first coat of Acrylic Latex Enamel black paint in Semi-Gloss.

spicerack2

And finally on the third day, the final coat of paint goes on. Now to wait till it dries!

spicerack3

I put the labels on the lids because the jars are rounded and it’s hard to make them go on straight. I like the look of them on the lids better anyway.

spicerack8

spicerack7

spicerack10

spicerack9

spicerack11

It will be nicer when my kitchen is done, but at least now my spices are organized! I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out.

Comments

1. Dawn says

This is such an awesome idea! My spices are so hard to find that I often don’t end up using them so I can’t wait to make one of these for myself. Thanks for sharing!

2. Marlene says

I love this idea and the jars your Mother found.. I will be making one of these for myself, thank you so much for this.

3. Elizabeth Matthiesen says

you made a great job of the spice rack. I think you were actually being very logical to put the labels on the lids, that way you can see straight away where what you want is. Clever!

4. Iisha B says

I am getting ready to add more containers to my magnetic spice rack so I really like the labels you used for yours so I just may have to indulge my spice tins.

5. Beatrice Lawson says

Love this!! And it would be perfect in my craft room too for holding all my small craft supplies like beads and sequins and stay stylish and organized.

6. kemberly gay says

My spice cabinet is a disaster waiting to happen. Lol This is such a wonderful idea. I will be making this I already have a cabinet in mind.

7. Linda Szymoniak says

I just had yet another “argument” with my spices, which I keep on a two level Lazy Susan in a cabinet in my kitchen. I use so many spices on a regular basis, plus others that I only use occasionally, and the various sizes and shapes of the bottles really prevents me from keeping them organized the way I’d like. I have been thinking about a spice rack and have the perfect place for something like this. I think I’ll add organizing my spices to my list of resolutions for 2014.

8. Piroska says

I love this spice rack! And the spice jars look much handier than the regular old ones I have. I use up a lot of certain herbs and spices, like parsley, basil, paprika, and I’m forever having to fill the small, thin jars.

9. Lynda Cook says

Love it!!! awesome job, I wish my kitchen had room to do something like this, I have one whole cupboard dedicated just to my spices and it’s a chore just to find one

10. Jaime Brown says

I really love the transformation. This is so nice, I am definitely going to try and make this, all my spices are just shoved in my cupboard. This makes it look so nice like a piece of art work. Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

11. jeevon kay says

Wow! this is such a brilliant idea. i cook everyday and I have my spices kept everywhere in my kitchen cabinet. This is a great organization for all my spices. thank you so much! gonna start doing it for my kitchen too!

12. MonaG says

Nice job on the spice rack and I love the jars and how they sit so perfectly. The containers I use vary in size depending on how often I use the spice. But my containers are practical, not pretty. I need to get some stylish ones.

You are very organized. This is a neat idea! I am going to show this to my husband. It sure beats my looking everywhere for mine in the cupboard. I like how you painted it too!

14. DARLENE W says

I am all in favour of do it yourself projects. Great idea and the kids can help by putting on the labels (this would be done first, then filled)

15. Susan T. says

This looks really great! It would be so useful to and easy to find what you are looking for. I need one!

16. peggy fedison says

wow you did a great job with the shelving and spice jars and labels. come here and do that for me please heheheeheheh ty for sharing

17. Kelly says

Wow, great job. I never have enough space for all my spices. Something like this would allow for me to spread out :)

This is such a cute idea! We use baby food jars in a drawer which I love but I hand wrote the labels and hate them. Might have to get me some of those fancy/schmancy ones! ;)

19. Priscilla S. says

Very cute and I love the labels! I really need a spice rack. My spices are currently in various sized containers and stacked on top of one another. It sure is difficult to keep things tidy and organized.

20. Linda B says

You did a beautiful job! It’s great that you had the area to do that with. I need to do something to organize my spices so that is one of my projects coming up later on. Something I have been putting off doing but know it would be nice when I get it finished. I like the jars also you used that they sit on a slant to see each of the labels….great Job well done!!! :)

21. Dorothy Boucher says

wow what a nice idea ;) not crazy on the black you picked but do like those little jars :) thanks for share