Master Bedroom Makeover | The Final Look

In 2009, John decided he wanted to renovate the master bedroom. However, when he said renovate he really meant it and trust me, it’s been a LONG process. As he was ripping off the drywall, he discovered the exterior walls weren’t insulated. Pretty much none of the house is so that’s why we are working room by room insulating the exterior walls. Then we decided to rip out  a wall and make the room even larger. So our four bedroom home became a three.  Check out what it looked like before. Warning: it’s a hot mess.

At Blogher last year, I won a $3000 bedroom makeover from Leggett & Platt. Since we’d already started the master bedroom, we put the money towards it. I think that was the biggest prize I’ve ever won. I was beyond shocked when I got that email!

The walls were gutted and the old, gross carpeting  and lineoleum was ripped out exposing a softwood floor. John rented a floor sander from Home Hardware, but it didn’t get him the results he wanted. Here’s what it looked like after John tried to do it himself.

ded8b5489ee011e2a84022000aa8048a_7

The guy at Home Hardware recommended someone with a professional floor sander who could come and refinish the floors.  Their sander worked way better.

041d916e9f0111e2a30c22000a1f9683_7

829a5dae9fa311e294d322000a1f8c09_7

When they were done, the result was impressive. I could see things finally starting to come together.

e5d9d452a1e811e2bb0f22000a1fbc94_7

John said the next room we do he won’t do the floors until after the painting is done! Live and learn right?

He painted the ceilings first.

5983af36d60011e2b4d922000a1fae83_7

Then the walls were primed and painted with two coats of Benjamin Moore Paint in Silverfox.

e884335ed9f711e28b4622000a9e2975_7

The hardest part was cleaning up the floors. I must have swept and washed them at least three or four times with Murphy’s Oil Soap before I was happy.

We bought a six piece bedroom set back in October and it had sat in my dining room in boxes until the room was ready. Last weekend, we finally got to put it together.  I got it at Rewards Furniture for $999 plus tax. It included a headboard, footboard, two night stands, dresser & mirror and chest.

bdrm1

bdrm2

A couple weeks ago, we went to Home Furniture and purchased a Queen size mattress. We’d only had a double bed before and with John being over 6 feet tall, we really needed a bigger bed. The one I got was a Serta iComfort. It wasn’t cheap though and cost more than the furniture. I wanted something that would be good for John to sleep on with his back issues.

bdrm5

I bought two table lamps for our night stands at Walmart for $14.99 each.

I wanted a bookcase for storage. I bought a 5 shelf bookcase from Walmart a few weeks ago for $39.  I plan to put everything in baskets on the shelves so it’s out of sight.

bdrm4

On my dresser I put 5 Lumaness Candles from 100Candles.com. They are all white with mirrored lids and look really sharp. They kind of give the room a “spa” feel.

bdrm7

bdrm10

My mom picked up our comforter set a couple months ago in Halifax when she was down for a visit. It’s black, grey and white. Last week I picked up some white sheets at Walmart: Springmaid Egyptian Cotton Sheets (600 thread count). I think they were about $79.

My parents were down again on Friday and they brought with them a full load. My mom loves decorating so she had been picking things up for my room. She brought me a desk and chair, an ottoman for the end of the bed, a picture to hang on an empty wall and six panels of grey curtains for our three windows.  We picked up curtain rods last night at Walmart and John hung them up today.

bdrm6

The room is not quite complete yet though. John still needs to finish the closet and put on the trim.

bdrm3

bdrm8

bdrm9

I couldn’t be happier with my new bedroom. It’s like my oasis in a house full of renovation chaos. Finally one room is done (well almost done)!

Comments

1. Soozle says

Oh wow! I saw your photos on Instagram of the progress – it seemed like a big project, but it turned out amazing!

Very beautiful!

2. Karen Glatt says

I love your new bedroom, and the floor is so beautiful! I like the colors of the bedding and the color of the furniture. What a gorgeous room and I bet you are so glad that it is over. Congrats on winning the money to help pay for this!

3. Sherri Lewis says

I love it! You are so lucky your husband was able to do all that….. I know that saved you a fortune! And congrats on winning that contest!

4. Jo Ann Mofatt says

Oh my goodnesss! Very impressive! I love how you made the other bedroom into a TV nook. I would love to meditate in your room. It just has that calming feeling. Wow!

Your new room looks great! I like the dark wood of your furniture and the bedspread. I feel your pain about the chaos of renovation. We moved into our new house last year and we’ve been moving from room to room gettin everything exactly the way we want it. Just last week we finished the nursery for the baby we’re expecting at the end of September. It’s a lot of work but it feels so good to see a room when it’s finished!

6. Kathy T says

Oh my goodness! Your room is beautiful . How wonderful your Mom is able to help decorate :-)
    I LOVE your hardwood floors !

7. Michelle Chow says

Hello, Stacie.
    John, yourself and your Mother have done a great job.
    The professional sander made a huge difference.
    Your super-sized master bedroom looks awesome. I am so jealous.
    Congratulations on winning the $3,000 to help with your home renovations.

That is pure heaven…and those floors looked insanely good when they were done! Wow. I am so jealous. I would take pictures of my bedroom, but it’s just sad. People would think it was a plea for help. LOL.

it makes a big difference before/after i watch a lot of the designing shows on Tv and it makes a huge difference when they take some of the most ugly rooms and turn them into real beauties

Wow! He looks very updated, stylish, and sophisticated. Yes, I’ve learned in our home projects that things always take longer than expected, get worse before better, and we learn what not to do. Hope you enjoyed h process and he new room. Sleep well!

You guys did a fantastic job. It looks great. I wish my work was done now too. We are going to begin painting and putting new flooring down like yours. Can’t wait until its done.
    Your bedroom looks great and it feels good when its done too.

12. Deb Dorrington says

Wow your new bedroom looks amazing, so peaceful and relaxing. I love the color scheme and your floors are beautiful. Most of all I love the sitting area, wish my bedroom was big enough for that. You and John did a wonderful job!!

13. Doris Calvert says

What an amazing make over! I always feel great satisfaction when were done and it looks good, you should be proud.

14. Michelle Knopp says

That looks fantastic. Great job! My husband and I have gutted our entire 100 year old 4 bedroom house and replaced all the wiring, plumbing, walls, floor, roof, siding, heater, everything! It has been quite the process. I tell people if you can stay married through remodeling or building a house, you can stay married through everything. Now, it’s nice to look back and see all that we have accomplished together.

15. Sandy Cain says

OMG, how gorgeous!!! See, all the hard work and aggravation was worth it! Can I move in with you?? : )

16. Cheryl Grandy says

Beautiful room! I usually prefer light coloured furniture, but the dark furniture with the light floor and walls looks wonderful! It’s nice that you started with your masterbedroom so you have a relaxing area to go to at the end of the day. Congratulations – the hard work was well worth it.

17. Patti Mitchell says

Great job! The finished room is so warm and cozy. I love your choice of paint colour and all of the finishing touches. You both should be very proud and feel lucky to spend time in that room.

18. Laura11 says

That looks GORGEOUS! We have just renovated most of our top floor, but left the shabby master bedroom entirely alone. We’re now thinking about re-doing it… this is so inspiring! I can’t wait for those shining new floors…

19. kristin sims says

That is a beautiful bedroom of yours!!! I love the unique shape of your ceiling, you picked the perfect furnishings to go with it!

20. CP says

I love makeovers, so thanks for sharing yours! My bedroom still looks like I’m in college, so I’m always checking out what other people are doing to get ideas for my eventual makeover. Great job bringing everything together and making it warm and inviting.

21. Beatrice Lawson says

Wow, no insulation… I cannot imagine your heating bills! we all think about the pretty stuff when renovating but the truth is the essentials like insulation, windowed and flooring should come first. I have some planning to do!