Was losing weight one of your resolutions this year? It’s definitely one of mine. I need to lose my last 15 lbs. I started my weight loss journey in early 2012 and I can’t believe it’s been over a year! I’m over 50 lbs lighter and feel motivated to continue on.
My grandma always used to say that your thoughts matter and you need to “think yourself thin”. She believed in the power of positive thinking. She was a smart lady. According to the Kellogg’s Special K Canadian Positivity Poll, 97% of Canadians agree that a positive attitude helps in achieving your goals. On the flip side though, only 48% consider themselves positive. I know I try to be positive, but it’s a constant battle to keep the negativity and self-doubt away.
Thinking positive thoughts does help keep me in the right frame of mind to achieve my goals. Hina Khan, a psychotherapist, TV personality and Special K Ambassador has some tips on how to think more positively.
1. Catch negative thoughts before they take over and don’t feed them. Dismiss thoughts like “I’ll never achieve my weight management goal”.
2. Reframe thoughts to the positive. An example is, “I get to go the gym vs. I have to go to the gym”.
3. Live in the present and don’t dwell on the past or worry about the future. Focus on the now instead.
4. Surround yourself with positive people. The Special K research showed that women who lost or maintained weight were three times as likely to rely on friends as a form of support.
5. Remember the external world is a perception of your internal world- which you can control. The Special K research also found that women who think positively about weight management were more likely to put a stop to negative conversations about their own or others bodies.
Along with positive thinking, there’s another valuable resource that I wanted to share with you today: My Special K. It’s an online program that will aid you in your weight loss efforts through personalized meal and fitness plans and information about food, fitness, fashion, beauty and more to help you get to your goal.
The personalized meal plan is really neat! It tells you what to eat and when and gives you the recipes. Even if you don’t follow it 100%, it will give you lots of ideas on healthy food choices and recipes to try. It also tells you what to do for your daily workout. For instance, today mine is go for a 30 minute walk. You can journal your progress to keep track of your experience as you go directly on the site. It’s an excellent resource if you feel like you are floundering in your weight loss goals and need some direction. I remember what it was like when I first started. I barely knew where to even begin.
I also had a chance to try some Special K snacks and cereals. For a quick snack in between meals, try Special K Strawberry Flavour Fruit Crisps or Special K Chocolate Flavour Crisps. They are only 100 calories for two Crisps! There’s also Special K Granola Bars in Dark Chocolate. They are only 110 calories per bar and perfect to satisfy a sweet tooth.
For breakfast, Special K makes it easy to keep on track with their cereals: Special K with Red Berries cereal, Special K Oats & Honey cereal and Special K Low Fat Granola cereal. My favourite is the granola. I add it to some plain yogurt in the mornings.
Have you set any weight loss goals this year?
Disclosure: I was not financially compensated for this post. I received a sample of the product for review purposes. The opinions are my own, based on my personal experience with the product.