The Beginning of a Master Bedroom Makeover

Our house is about 100 years old and is undergoing some major renovations. John’s a carpenter by trade so he has been doing most of it himself. Right now we are working on our Master Bedroom. He’s been slowly poking at it for awhile, but now he’s really kicked the work into overdrive and it’s really coming along nicely. It’s going to be beautiful when it’s finally finished.

A couple months ago, I received an email that I had won a $3000 Bedroom Makeover from Leggett & Platt. I had entered their contest at this year’s BlogHer contest and I was so shocked to learn that I won. I don’t think I’ve ever won anything that big before!

Since we were already working on our Master Bedroom and it’s the one room that needs the most TLC, we decided to put the funds towards it. I wanted to get new furniture and accessories to update our old, mismatched bedroom set.

John knocked out a wall to make our four bedroom house now a three bedroom. The room is HUGE!! I’m going to have a nice walk-in closet finally. We only had these ugly wardrobes in there before. Eventually, we are going to have an ensuite with a jacuzzi tub. First though, the bedroom needs to be finished before we get to that stage.

It’s not ready yet, but this will eventually be our closet…

Bedroom Makeover

John hung drywall and mudded on one side of the room. The other side still needs to be insulated and drywall hung. We are ripping out the flooring and refinishing the hardwood floor that is under the current carpet.

Here’s one side that has no insulation yet…

Bedroom Makeover

Bedroom Makeover

The other half has drywall and is ready to be sanded.

Bedroom Makeover

The renos are his domain and I’m not much help there, but I’m in charge of the decorating! I’m still trying to find a bedspread and then will decide the paint colour from there. Our area has no selection so we are going to have to go to Halifax to see what they have there.

I’ve been looking in the flyers every week and about a week ago, I found the perfect bedroom set and it was on sale! It’s six pieces: headboard, footboard, two night stands, dresser & mirror and chest for $999. With the taxes, it came to about $1150. They delivered it for free which I was grateful for!

I took a photo of the flyer to show my friends and family. Here’s what it looks like:

Bedroom Set

Right now its still in boxes in my dining room since we aren’t at the stage yet where we can put it in the room. I’m so anxious to see how it looks in there!

I’m planning to continue to post about our progress until it’s all done!

Comments

1. Karen Glatt says

I think that you remodeling you bedroom is so awesome! I like the picture that you displayed about what your master bedroom will look like!! It is so rewarding to redo a room. It is hard work, but when it is done, it is well worth it! I will be checking in on your progress with your room getting done. Good Luck!

2. Barbara Edwards says

Your retreat will be well appreciated I am sure after your renovations are complete. I know it is a lot of hard work and perseverance but well worth the effort.

3. Robin Quick says

I love the bedroom suite! My MIL turned her 4 bedroom into a 3 bedroom with an en-suite bathroom & walk in closet. I have a walk-in closet and an en-suite bathroom & I love it! Good luck with finishing up the room. Remodeling is always fun… not! LOL

4. Debbie Welchert says

I can’t wait to see your bedroom when it’s finished. I have a really big bedroom and I would love to have a small bathroom put in but I can’t talk my husband into it. Someday maybe. I love the style of your bedroom set. Your never going to want to come out of your new room.

5. Carol ONeil says

Just think how you and your husband are going to feel when this is finished. How exciting and rewarding. Congrats on your win also.

6. Hannah C says

Omg congratulations on winning the contest!! That’s insane! You’re so lucky! I can’t imagine how excited you must be. love the bedroom set you chose, it’s so gorgeous and I would have chosen something like that too!!

7. Patti Brown says

How exciting that you won that contest, especially now that you’re remodeling your master bedroom! The bedroom set looks really nice. Looking forward to more posts of your progress.

8. jennifer says

Wow congrats on winning the makeover. And great that your hubby can do some work too. CAn’t wait to see the final result.

9. Lisa R says

wow you won a $3000 makeover? That’s awesome……looks like a great start with your renovations….keep up the good work

sibabe64 at ptd dot net

10. Dena S. says

It’s great you won a $3000 room makeover and you have a handy husband to do the labor part for you. Good luck with the remodeling!

Congrats on winning and the new bedroom. I would love to have a walk in closet and dream of those organizing systems. Have fun with the paint color. When I reprinted my bedroom, I taped several paint samples to the wall to see what I liked at different times of the day and different moods I was in. I hope you wand your husband have fun with the makeover and enjoy your new room.

12. Tara says

While we are not remodeling we are currently “shopping” for our first house. Can’t wait to move in and start making it ours! The furniture in our master is my husbands stuff from when he was a kid. I have one drawer in the dresser and then a set of plastic drawers. Plus we share a bedroom with our four year old..So can’t wait and will be sure to follow your posts.

13. Marysa says

That looks like a lot of work! We have done a ton of remodeling… it is a big commitment! Looks like you will have great results :)

14. Judy C (Cowan) says

Love that bedroom set! Did you ever post pictures of your bedroom done? We keep putting off redoing the master bedroom.

15. heidi eaton says

I love the pics of the hopeful finished product. The sleigh bed is great. I used to have a sleigh bed and I should have never gotten rid of it. That bed was the best bed we ever had. I also like the colors you’ve chosen.