A Quick Guide to Recent Facebook Changes
If you are on Facebook, then I am sure you are aware of the recent changes they made to the Fan Pages. I have updated mine to the new layout and am still trying to get used to it. I like some of the changes, but then am not fond of others.
Here’s some of the changes and my thoughts about each:
- Pages can now “like” other pages. This means I can “like” pages with my Simply Stacie page instead of using my Stacie Vaughan profile. However, and this is a BIG one, when you “like” a page with your page, it DOES NOT increase that pages likes. So if I go and “like” your fan page as Simply Stacie, your number of “likes” will not go up. Yet, if I go to your page as Stacie Vaughan (my personal account) and like you, it will increase your numbers. This is big if you participate in Facebook Like You Back hops and giveaways where liking on Facebook is an entry. Thanks to Belly Charms for her great post about this topic and bringing it to my attention.
- On my fan page, I have the option of looking at my Wall in regular view or Admin view. I much prefer Admin view since this puts the posts in chronological order and I can see if anyone has recently posted on my page.
- You no longer can “Suggest to Friends” for other peoples pages. However, you can still “Suggest to Friends” for your own page.
- You can add pages to your favourites by clicking “Add to My Page’s Favorites” and the pages will show on the left sidebar of your pages. I think you could do this before, but I noticed more people are doing it now with the recent changes. Plus in your Page Settings you can choose which pages to feature on your sidebar or have them just randomly show up.
- You can now use Facebook as your page so I could go around to other people’s pages and leave comments with my Simply Stacie profile rather than my Stacie Vaughan profile. However, with this option I have noticed a BIG increase in spam on my page.
- You can change the category of your page. There’s lots of choice and I recommend checking it out and making sure your page is showing up in the right category. Go into Edit Page to do this.
- Receive an email when someone comments on your Wall. I love this option! This way you can respond right away to any questions and also delete any spam when it shows up.
For further reading on the recent Facebook changes, I recommend checking out Still Blonde After All These Year’s post about her thoughts on the new setup.
What do you think of the changes? Do you prefer the new layout or do you like the old one better?