Steps to Moving from Blogger to WordPress

Steps to Moving from Blogger to WordPress

Moving your Blogger blog over to WordPress may seem like an intimidating task at first, but it doesn’t have to be. I have broken it down into four easy steps that I took to move my blog. Bear in mind, that it wasn’t free for me to move. I hired someone to do it for me and I purchased a premium theme, but you don’t have to. The only costs you can’t really get out of are the domain and hosting packages.

• Step Two: Purchase Hosting Package for your new site. (Prices around $60 to $100/year for a shared hosting plan)
  • Step Three: Purchase a WordPress Theme or find a free to use that you like. (Prices around $70 – $100).
  • Step Four: Find a designer to move your Blogger blog over to WordPress or find information online to do it yourself. (Designer costs range from $60 – $150+). They will normally move your existing design from your Blogger blog right to your new WordPress blog. If you want to get a new look, then that costs extra.

Total Costs? Minimum $64, Maximum $365+

Is it worth it? YES, DEFINITELY!

Comments

1. Judith says

I am on blogger. I am not discontented. What are the benefits to word press that warrant the initial and ongoing cost?

Hey Stacie, congratulations on making the move to WordPress. I did it last year and it has been very rewarding. I still maintain a blog on Blogger though because I wanted to start fresh.

I’m going to check out your Facebook page asap!

Happy New Year and best wishes for much success in 2011!

I’m still beating around the bush on this one. All of my favorite blogs are all on wordpress and they all seem content with their decision but I am still on the fence. I am reading your Why I Left Bogger For WordPress post again…

Thanks Stacie!

I’m really on the fence about it too since my website/blog is JUST up and coming and wouldn’t want to lose readers. Question ~ If someone types in the blogspot address, but you moved to wordpress, will it automatically forward the reader to wordpress?

Thanks Stacie!

~Jenna, SAS Interiors

Okay so I was totally about to make the switch (from .com on blogger to wordpress) but didn’t realize you have to purchase a template! Are there ways to make your own effectively? I took the base template on blogger and created my whole own look on my blog currently. Thanks for your advice!

I’ve been considering it. I like the way wordpress blogs are set up. I didn’t know that blogs were shut down on blogger for no reason. That IS scary. I like blogger because it’s free but may not be worth it if I go to log in one day and it’s gone

Happy New Year to you Stacie!

I just wanted to let you know that I am reading your Blogger to WordPress articles with GREAT interest and I appreciate all of the practical information you are providing!

This series is so worthwhile, you should consider posting a permanent badge with links to it in your heading or on your sidebar, so that it can easily be found by both current and future readers!

One question I have is:

How easy is the software to learn initially (since Blogger is SO simple!) and then – how easy is it to update on a daily basis with pictures, HTML, etc?
    Is it true that you cannot upload your photos directly to your site – that you MUST go through Photobucket for this (ie, there is an extra step involved?)

I look forward to your feedback!

Ramona